• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Greetings from Mountsorrel

Lorraine Eason

Hi guys 🙂 I've been fascinated by astronomy and planetary sciences since I was little, and finally took the plunge and got myself a 'serious' instrument back in about 2002 when I bought a Celestron CR150-HD.  Spent a few nights looking more at planets, but always had a hankering after deep sky objects. Unfortunately I was overtaken by events and poorly problems, and combined with a lack of support for handling such a beast, it has spent a long time doing nothing and I have not been involved in astronomy for quite a few years.  Times change however, and I have been looking recently at re-igniting my interest.

I had been thinking about  getting myself a smaller 'grab and go' scope to enable me to find my way around without the faff and muscles involved with setting up the beast and was going to decide exactly what to do with it later, until I 'remembered' I also have the Lidl (Bresser) Skylux 70/700. I'd dismissed it a long time ago as a 'serious' instrument as it was so cheap (about £75, if remember rightly). Bought a few years ago from Lidl purely to project the Sun onto a screen with. Last used during the partial eclipse in 2015, boxed up and almost forgotten about. Having finally remembered about it , I wondered if I was being a bit unfair in not giving it a fair chance. Now to wait for a break in the weather, and a decent site to observe from.... 😉

Hope it works for you Lorraine and welcome to the forum 👍

• Like 1

Hi Lorraine, welcome to the forum. That cr is a beast of a scope, but the little skylux's isn't bad for what it is. Had a couple of them go through my hands. They are ok as a grab and go but nothing like your cr.

Wishing you clear skies.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Lorraine.  If you're planning on travelling to dark sky sites, I can certainly understand why you would want a smaller scope!  Now that the nights are starting to get darker, then given a few clear nights, I hope your interest is well and truly re-ignited.

• Like 1

Hi Lorraine, a warm welcome to the group. That Bresser should be fairly reasonable on the Planets and the Moon, I reckon the mount might not be too stable, but the optics weren't bad.  Give it a bash, Jupiter and Saturn are rising after sunset now, Mars a bit later. Certainly not in the same league as the CR, but your back will thank you.

Make yourself at home and ask any other questions you might have, someone will be along to help.

• Like 1

Hi Lorraine, welcome to the group. I know what you mean about lugging around a 150, I have a SkyWatcher Evostar 150 and it is a long and weighty beast. I'd certainly try out the Bresser, you've got nothing to lose, and it should give reasonable views of the moon and planets. 

• Like 1

Welcome back,  I am also getting back into astronomy.  Think the lockdown has given us all time to reevaluate 🤔

Thanks for the welcome, guys 😁 At the moment, I’m hoping for nights that are clear early enough for me see the sky that don’t involve me lurking on the front drive until 3am like I had to last week to see Neowise 😂 Quite interested in utilising the dark sky site in Wymeswold long term... 🤔

Hi Lorraine, and welcome.

Regarding scopes, theres so much choice and opinion out there that its difficult to know where to start.

I myself have 'downsized' recently and now use 2 easily manageable refractors on alt-azimuth style mounts.

Best thing i can recommend is to come along to a meet and have a look through a few different scopes to get a feel for whats out there.....

However......when that might be is anyones guess, in these crazy times. I may even get my wrists slapped for even suggesting we

can look through each others scopes. Maybe if i spray my Televue's with some anti-bac all will be well.

The main thing is to have fun and enjoy the night sky 😀