• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A surprise in the local park!

RonC

Just had a fright in the local park! Walking my little dog on the path through the wood near the football field when the dog suddenly jumped up in the air and a large (nearly 4') SNAKE slithered of the path towards the playing field. It was seen by somebody on the field but disappeared back into the bushes! It was very dark and about 2.5" round. Heart is still going ten to the dozen!!🐍

• Like 1

Sounds like an escapee Ron, there nothing indigenous like that. Google Royal Python, that's a likely candidate, they are kept a lot and not aggressive. 

Edited by BAZ

Wow... agree that definitely doesn’t sound British.Eek

It was very dark, nearly Black and I could not see a pattern on it!

Probably a black grass snake. They are not common but do exist. It’s a genetic thing and they appear almost totally black and from the size you say it was sounds reasonable 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sheila said:

Probably a black grass snake. They are not common but do exist. It’s a genetic thing and they appear almost totally black and from the size you say it was sounds reasonable 

That's really interesting Sheila, a real nugget of information that one! I had no idea..

The same is true for adders but you can see the zig zag on the back as a darker shadow in the black colour 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Sheila. I know that grass snakes can be a lot longer than adders, which I always thought was a bit strange!

The one that inhabits my daughters back garden is well over 3 feet long.  Big  snake 😁

Edited by Sheila