• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

A surprise in the local park!

Just had a fright in the local park! Walking my little dog on the path through the wood near the football field when the dog suddenly jumped up in the air and a large (nearly 4') SNAKE slithered of the path towards the playing field. It was seen by somebody on the field but disappeared back into the bushes! It was very dark and about 2.5" round. Heart is still going ten to the dozen!!ūüźć

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Derbyshire Dave

• Sheila

• RonC

• BAZ

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was hoping to call it Edmund!

The same is true for adders but you can see the zig zag on the back as a darker shadow in the black colour 

Probably a black grass snake. They are not common but do exist. It’s a genetic thing and they appear almost totally black and from the size you say it was sounds reasonable 

Sounds like an escapee Ron, there nothing indigenous like that. Google Royal Python, that's a likely candidate, they are kept a lot and not aggressive. 

Edited by BAZ

Probably a black grass snake. They are not common but do exist. It’s a genetic thing and they appear almost totally black and from the size you say it was sounds reasonable 

• Like 2
Derbyshire Dave
14 hours ago, Sheila said:

That's really interesting Sheila, a real nugget of information that one! I had no idea..

The same is true for adders but you can see the zig zag on the back as a darker shadow in the black colour 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Derbyshire Dave

Thanks Sheila. I know that grass snakes can be a lot longer than adders, which I always thought was a bit strange!

The one that inhabits my daughters back garden is well over 3 feet long. ¬†Big¬†¬†snake¬†ūüėĀ

Edited by Sheila