• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Lightning bolt over Sawley

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris P.

• Derbyshire Dave

• Bino-viewer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lightning bolt from today’s storms. I used a MIOPS trigger on my 6D for a 1.6 sec exposure. This particular strike was loud enough to set several car alarms off

Lightning strikes from the same storm - this time a composite over 5 minutes as the storm passed over

Excellent capture Chris. I was trying to do something similar, but failed somewhat. 

3 hours ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Fantastic Chris. How do these triggers work then?

My MIOPs trigger fires the camera shutter either as a pre-programmed timed event (such as a time lapse routine) or by light or sound. It has a photo sensitive cell on the front of the device which registers a lightning strike and trips the shutter. The trick is to get the right shutter speed and sensitivity setting for the device. These images were shot with a 1.6 second shutter speed which allows the lightning forks to branch out before the shutter closes

• Thanks 1
Derbyshire Dave
30 minutes ago, Chris P. said:

My MIOPs trigger fires the camera shutter either as a pre-programmed timed event (such as a time lapse routine) or by light or sound. It has a photo sensitive cell on the front of the device which registers a lightning strike and trips the shutter. The trick is to get the right shutter speed and sensitivity setting for the device. These images were shot with a 1.6 second shutter speed which allows the lightning forks to branch out before the shutter closes

Brilliant, thanks Chris..