• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lightning bolt over Sawley

Chris P.

Excellent capture Chris.

I was trying to do something similar, but failed somewhat. 

Fantastic Chris. How do these triggers work then?

3 hours ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Fantastic Chris. How do these triggers work then?

My MIOPs trigger fires the camera shutter either as a pre-programmed timed event (such as a time lapse routine) or by light or sound. It has a photo sensitive cell on the front of the device which registers a lightning strike and trips the shutter. The trick is to get the right shutter speed and sensitivity setting for the device. These images were shot with a 1.6 second shutter speed which allows the lightning forks to branch out before the shutter closes

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Chris P. said:

My MIOPs trigger fires the camera shutter either as a pre-programmed timed event (such as a time lapse routine) or by light or sound. It has a photo sensitive cell on the front of the device which registers a lightning strike and trips the shutter. The trick is to get the right shutter speed and sensitivity setting for the device. These images were shot with a 1.6 second shutter speed which allows the lightning forks to branch out before the shutter closes

Brilliant, thanks Chris..