• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which Barlow lens should I buy?

I’m looking at buying a Barlow lens for my beginner setup which consists of the AstroMaster 130 plus 5mm,12mm and 25mm X-cell eye piece, I have been recommended to buy an Antares x1.5 twist lock. I don’t won’t to spends loads on my beginner setup has I’m saving up for the HEQ5-Pro but any advice on the Barlow lens and also how to use it. 

Bino-viewer

At this stage, i would not purchase a Barlow lens.

I would take stock of your current eyepieces, and upgrade them as required.

5 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

Forget the barlow at the moment .

I would suggest a decent 7 or 9mm eyepiece.

The same make that I have now or a different brand?

Bino-viewer

Your scope is a 130 / 650 F5 reflector by the looks of it ??

So your 3 x-cel eyepieces should give you 26x , 54x and 130x

You could maybe add the 9mm or 7mm in between your 12 and 5mm lenses, but to be honest, i'd leave it for now

and have a good few sessions with what you have and evaluate things properly.

And before you start thinking of busting Jupiter, Saturn and Mars apart with 300x power, remember all 3 planets are

currently pretty low down in the southern sky. So there is a-lot of atmosphere to look through which will distort the image.

Last year i had several sessions with Saturn where i couldn't go much beyond 100x due to atmospherics and poor seeing.

More important is decent collimation and giving your scope plenty of time to cool down outside before you use it.

Ideally about an hour, especially if its been stored indoors.

So, see how you get on, and let us know how things perform.

Enjoy the views 😀

Thanks Rob,

you are right in saying I should get some sessions in and use the equipment I have already,  this will give me the time too gain more experience on using the equipment. Setting up at home and setting up at different locations is something I’m getting used to at the moment plus this setting up the collimation is something I do need to practice. 

I'm over on the east coast for a few days and I’ve brought the scope with me so hopefully the sky’s will clear and I’ll get some practice in. If I do decide to buy a 9mm lens should I stick with the same brand or should I go for better?

If youreally must have the extra eyepiece I would stick with the same type for the time being.

When I was visual I would use the lower powers for most of my viewing except planets but as Rob says they are very low at the present.

Bino-viewer

And viewing the 3 of them last evening was pretty typical UK viewing.

Jupiter was so-so : the red spot was there, but the seeing in general was mediocre at best.

Saturn the same, and no real sign of Cassini. I viewed them at 90x which was ok, but when i tried 135x it was a bit too much gas.

Mars has moved quite a way, and was visible low in the east. (When i first spotted it i thought it was a helicopter...😳)

But hopefully in a couple of months it will yield some nice views.

The family and myself had a few hours looking through the telescope last night and I would say that it proved to be a productive night for logging objects in the night sky. First was the moon with lots of craters visible to see and very clear viewing and I used all the lenses and I’m very pleased with the moon views. The Shimmer from the heatwaves was visible also the wind played its part as well. Jupiter and 4 of its moons was great too see and the two lines visible on Jupiter also visible, Saturn and its rings was great too see also Andromeda was visible.

I’m sure the telescopes collimation needs setting up and today I’m going to have a try at collimation myself, with the help from my son. I also need a finder scope to help in locating the objects in the night sky. The rotating of the tube to make Jupiter and Saturn easier to view was the worst of last night’s stargazing experience, maybe I’ve not set the polar alignment and the balance set up correctly.

12 hours ago, Ibbo said:

If youreally must have the extra eyepiece I would stick with the same type for the time being.

When I was visual I would use the lower powers for most of my viewing except planets but as Rob says they are very low at the present.

I don’t think I’ll buy any more lenses for this AstroMaster 130 I’ll save up for the HEQ5 instead.

• Like 2