• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Exposure testing..

Afters lots of reading up and checking on the web etc I decided to do some testing while the nights are short.

First: 6 x 300s at 600 gain Binning 1x1 with matching Darks x 5 at the same temperature + Flats x 21.

NGC 6960 and M31 only 2 x 300s both with minimum stretching etc..

large.NGC6960270720BigFinishSmall.jpg.6a736c4ea8142f714358e43771ede46a.jpg

large.M31270720BigFinishSmall.jpg.9b3264f12bdb070a56f793304b28bc2a.jpg

Both of these images are only 8% JPegs, the original TIFFs were 450 Mbs (huge).

Next test tonight will be similar exposures but Binned 2x2.

Ron

Edited by RonC
added text
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RonC

• Clive

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Afters lots of reading up and checking on the web etc I decided to do some testing while the nights are short. First: 6 x 300s at 600 gain Binning 1x1 with matching Darks x 5 at the same temperat

Nice to get so much detail with such short stacks. It might not be an issue with your camera, but to reduce any noise I would increase the number of darks. I assume you are referring to the 32 bit DSS TIF Files at 450Mb? And I admire your optmisium that it's going to be clear tonight!

Yes Clive, more Dark's for sure it's just a time factor at the moment. Clear tonight I hope and it's a 2x2 night tonight and with the gain back to unity (400).

Will report back tomorrow...

Ron

Hope you're lucky, looks clear to my east (your direction) at the moment but not so good to my west and the cloud satellite doesn't look too promising for where I am tonight either 😞

Continuing my exposure testing last night with the Hypercam 183c Pro fan cooled cam using M27.

I took Lights and then darks to match +flats ans Dark Flats.

First 5 x 300s Gain 400 Binned 2x2

large.M27_300300720FinishSmall.jpg.3d210d5f04ddaebe52ddaf9f52838ed6.jpg

No sensor flare or other artefacts present!

Then 5 x 600s gain 400 Binned 2x2

large.M27_600300720Finish-Small.jpg.0419b5d47b2d111e0c4204ca4b0892fa.jpg

Again no flare or artefacts but I found it a lot harder to process??

Will try some shorter exposures to compare on the next clear night (also of M27)

Comments welcome

Ron

The 600s colours look more natural to me. Not sure why the 600s images should be harder to process unless the sensor was starting to saturate? Any idea what the ADU values are for M27 in the two images?

Not sure about the ADU's but it was only a test. There is hardly any star colour which suggests to me that it's over saturated for sure!

I will continue using 90 - 120s exposures at Unity gain (400), happier with that!

Ron