• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

VX8 and Skywatcher 250PDS

Paul Tomo

I have decided to upgrade my tripod and mount to a HEQ5-Pro and I’m going with this tripod mount setup. The next item that I will be needing to finish my new upgrade will be the telescope itself. I have two scopes in mind that I like the look of and they are the VX8 and the Explorer 250PDS, i would like to do Astrophotography as well as visual and I’m thinking any of these two scopes will do the job for me. 

When I was looking at these 8” scope tubes the thought of buying a 10” came to mind but where does it end, I guess having more than one scope setup is the answer but for now I would like your thoughts on the two 8” scopes I’ve mentioned but please say if a 10” would be the scope to buy.

Thanks..Paul Tomo 

I would advise you for a starter imaging scope to use a refractor.

An ED80 has enough light gathering.

Also a smaller fract does not test your guiding and mount capabilties as much.

A 250 pds will be to much if you ask me , a 130pds would work well if you want a reflector don’t dismiss its size look at what it’s capable of here https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/210593-imaging-with-the-130pds/ vx8 visually good again imaging  On a heq5 probably on its limits tbh 

Edited by Bottletopburly

Personally, would advise you go for the best mount you can afford and worry about optics once you have got it, research research and more research before you buy anything, I am now upgrading from a sky watcher eq5pro to eq6R pro as the smaller mount and tripod still give shake when trying to take  astro pics,  just my opinion but buy too little and you end up buying again also as above check out first light optics, very helpful.people and happy to advise you,in my experience,best of luck.

Edited by tonylum
Missed a bit off mount details,

7 hours ago, tonylum said:

Personally, would advise you go for the best mount you can afford and worry about optics once you have got it, research research and more research before you buy anything, I am now upgrading from a sky watcher eq5pro to eq6R pro as the smaller mount and tripod still give shake when trying to take  astro pics,  just my opinion but buy too little and you end up buying again also as above check out first light optics, very helpful.people and happy to advise you,in my experience,best of luck.

I was looking at the eq6r as it happens and it does take a bigger payload and my thoughts was I could use a bigger scope later when I can afford too. I’m also thinking about portability like on camping and caravan trips or nights out on stargazing trips. I will do more research before I buy and I’ll take my time before I make costly mistakes. Thanks for your input.

On 30/07/2020 at 01:58, tonylum said:

What’s your thoughts on the NEQ6-Pro and I can’t see much difference between the two

Having tried the EQ5pro and found it wanting for astrophotography(imo) so am now ready to buy the EQ6pro, having read masses of comments for this mount, I feel,for me it will be a good upgrade, only drawback I can see is it's a heavy bit of kit and not one to take to a dark site if you can't get close before unloading it, but , for me it's swings and roundabouts, will hopefully be ordering this in the next couple of weeks or so, so will give you a bit more update once it's here, in the meantime have a look at Helena's Astropotography on youtube, 

3 hours ago, tonylum said:

Having tried the EQ5pro and found it wanting for astrophotography(imo) so am now ready to buy the EQ6pro, having read masses of comments for this mount, I feel,for me it will be a good upgrade, only drawback I can see is it's a heavy bit of kit and not one to take to a dark site if you can't get close before unloading it, but , for me it's swings and roundabouts, will hopefully be ordering this in the next couple of weeks or so, so will give you a bit more update once it's here, in the meantime have a look at Helena's Astropotography on youtube, 

It’s very heavy 

4 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

It’s very heavy 

I'll second that

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken into account the information you have passed on to me regarding upgrades and I have now purchased a EQR6 Pro mount and tripod I also have the mount connected to my laptop computer EQMOD and ASCOM plus Stellarium. Although I’ve not used it all outside yet all the programs seem to be talking to each other.

The telescope that I will be using is the Skywatcher 200 but I would like To upgrade to the 250pds In the near future, I’m not pushed for making the upgrade yet as I need to familiarise myself with setup I have but would I benefit from the 250pds?.

Paul Tomo

15 minutes ago, Paul Tomo said:

I have taken into account the information you have passed on to me regarding upgrades and I have now purchased a EQR6 Pro mount and tripod I also have the mount connected to my laptop computer EQMOD and ASCOM plus Stellarium. Although I’ve not used it all outside yet all the programs seem to be talking to each other.

The telescope that I will be using is the Skywatcher 200 but I would like To upgrade to the 250pds In the near future, I’m not pushed for making the upgrade yet as I need to familiarise myself with setup I have but would I benefit from the 250pds?.

Paul Tomo

Other than than the pds having a better focuser I see no need for the upgrade I would use to upgrade to a better focuser on the 200p, flock the tube , fit a handle to the tube rings , fit a fan to the primary and if the focus tube affecting star spikes trim drawtube  something I need to do, Fit an autofocuser I had the 200 now use pds , the 250 becomes a big sail, if you must get the Quattro version it’s carbon fibre.

Edited by Bottletopburly

2 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Other than than the pds having a better focuser I see no need for the upgrade I would use to upgrade to a better focuser on the 200p, flock the tube , fit a handle to the tube rings , fit a fan to the primary and if the focus tube affecting star spikes trim drawtube  something I need to do, Fit an autofocuser I had the 200 now use pds , the 250 becomes a big sail, if you must get the Quattro version it’s carbon fibre.

Can you please explain what flock the tube is? I guess some kind of black sheet on the inside and would the scope need to be sent off to be flocked. I will take a look at the focus upgrade, would it be the pds for the 200P. 

16 minutes ago, Paul Tomo said:

Can you please explain what flock the tube is? I guess some kind of black sheet on the inside and would the scope need to be sent off to be flocked. I will take a look at the focus upgrade, would it be the pds for the 200P. 

Flocking material can be bought from Wilkinson’s I think from memory you need 2 rolls £5 a roll it black felt on a self adhesive sheet it stop reflection to give better contrast does mean stripping its down so you need to  re- collimate   , there are better focuser available you can buy the pds focuser £130 ish  or some higher end ones that cost £200 plus 

Edited by Bottletopburly

Attaching an absorbant material to the inside of a telescope tube doesn't sit comfortably with me. Great for soaking up moisture on damp nights but what happens when the scope is then  sealed up when out of use?

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Attaching an absorbant material to the inside of a telescope tube doesn't sit comfortably with me. Great for soaking up moisture on damp nights but what happens when the scope is then  sealed up when out of use?

Never found it it to be a problem with a Newtonian never had moisture in the scope tube ever even without a fan blowing or when the scope covered up outside or stored in the shed in the last 8 years .

Made all the difference to mine. Again, never had any moisture issues that I've noticed.

Skywatcher 10" Skyliner.

Edited by tuckstar
  • Like 1

That looks impressive and you can see the difference it makes in absorbing the light, have you got any tips for when I come to do mine.

It has a grain to it get the grain going same way run your hand over it you’ll feel which way the grain goes , trim flocking back 12mm from ends after fitted to allow for plastic ends , overlap joins 10mm working from joint seam on ota peel backing off as you go don’t take all of it off at once .

Wow, no wonder you need to do something about the inside of the tube! Do scopes come in that state these days?

I used sticky backed. So a drop of washing up liquid with water in a spray bottle, give the ota a couple of squirts and it gives you a chance to get the flocking in to place before it sticks, that's the damp you can see on the ota.  Give it a go over with the hoover when its dry so you dont get aany loose flock on your mirrors. @BAZ helped me do mine👍 a little while ago now. I also did the focusor tube while it was in bits. 

@Clive I'm afraid so. This is a standard skywatcher 250px and it's a few years old now, but I can't imagine they have changed much. It really does show how reflective they are inside.

Edited by tuckstar

I made a fibreglass tube for my late 10" newt and I used blackboard paint on the inside. It only ever needed the single coat in its 25 year life.

I will buy the material to flock the scope and at the same time I will wash the mirrors and maybe fit a new focus system. I will watch as many videos has I can on flocking, mirrors being washed and collimation. Until then I’ll be getting used to operating the scope, mount and computer.

More questions later. Thanks for the feedback.

Paul