Please click here to read an announcement about EMS and the coronavirus.

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Paul Tomo

VX8 and Skywatcher 250PDS

Paul Tomo

I have decided to upgrade my tripod and mount to a HEQ5-Pro and I’m going with this tripod mount setup. The next item that I will be needing to finish my new upgrade will be the telescope itself. I have two scopes in mind that I like the look of and they are the VX8 and the Explorer 250PDS, i would like to do Astrophotography as well as visual and I’m thinking any of these two scopes will do the job for me. 

When I was looking at these 8” scope tubes the thought of buying a 10” came to mind but where does it end, I guess having more than one scope setup is the answer but for now I would like your thoughts on the two 8” scopes I’ve mentioned but please say if a 10” would be the scope to buy.

Thanks..Paul Tomo 

Ibbo

I would advise you for a starter imaging scope to use a refractor.

An ED80 has enough light gathering.

Also a smaller fract does not test your guiding and mount capabilties as much.

Bottletopburly

A 250 pds will be to much if you ask me , a 130pds would work well if you want a reflector don’t dismiss its size look at what it’s capable of here https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/210593-imaging-with-the-130pds/ vx8 visually good again imaging  On a heq5 probably on its limits tbh 

Edited by Bottletopburly

tonylum

Personally, would advise you go for the best mount you can afford and worry about optics once you have got it, research research and more research before you buy anything, I am now upgrading from a sky watcher eq5pro to eq6R pro as the smaller mount and tripod still give shake when trying to take  astro pics,  just my opinion but buy too little and you end up buying again also as above check out first light optics, very helpful.people and happy to advise you,in my experience,best of luck.

Edited by tonylum
Missed a bit off mount details,

Paul Tomo
7 hours ago, tonylum said:

Personally, would advise you go for the best mount you can afford and worry about optics once you have got it, research research and more research before you buy anything, I am now upgrading from a sky watcher eq5pro to eq6R pro as the smaller mount and tripod still give shake when trying to take  astro pics,  just my opinion but buy too little and you end up buying again also as above check out first light optics, very helpful.people and happy to advise you,in my experience,best of luck.

I was looking at the eq6r as it happens and it does take a bigger payload and my thoughts was I could use a bigger scope later when I can afford too. I’m also thinking about portability like on camping and caravan trips or nights out on stargazing trips. I will do more research before I buy and I’ll take my time before I make costly mistakes. Thanks for your input.

Paul Tomo
On 30/07/2020 at 01:58, tonylum said:

What’s your thoughts on the NEQ6-Pro and I can’t see much difference between the two

tonylum

Having tried the EQ5pro and found it wanting for astrophotography(imo) so am now ready to buy the EQ6pro, having read masses of comments for this mount, I feel,for me it will be a good upgrade, only drawback I can see is it's a heavy bit of kit and not one to take to a dark site if you can't get close before unloading it, but , for me it's swings and roundabouts, will hopefully be ordering this in the next couple of weeks or so, so will give you a bit more update once it's here, in the meantime have a look at Helena's Astropotography on youtube, 

Bottletopburly
3 hours ago, tonylum said:

Having tried the EQ5pro and found it wanting for astrophotography(imo) so am now ready to buy the EQ6pro, having read masses of comments for this mount, I feel,for me it will be a good upgrade, only drawback I can see is it's a heavy bit of kit and not one to take to a dark site if you can't get close before unloading it, but , for me it's swings and roundabouts, will hopefully be ordering this in the next couple of weeks or so, so will give you a bit more update once it's here, in the meantime have a look at Helena's Astropotography on youtube, 

It’s very heavy 

Glafnazur
4 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

It’s very heavy 

I'll second that