• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Travelling with your kit

Al Long

We are planning to go away to the middle of the Atlantic for Crimbo this year (COVID willing), does anyone have any words of wisdom on taking my kit on a plane?

that depends on what your kit is.  They dont take kindly to a 14 inch dobsonian 😊

Less is better and weight will be an issue.  Only time I took kit was to australia and I only took a tripod and DSLR

and made do with very short subs of the milky way.  Did not fancy putting a scope in the hold and having it chucked around by the baggage handlers.  

3 minutes ago, Sheila said:

that depends on what your kit is.  They dont take kindly to a 14 inch dobsonian 😊

Less is better and weight will be an issue.  Only time I took kit was to australia and I only took a tripod and DSLR

and made do with very short subs of the milky way.  Did not fancy putting a scope in the hold and having it chucked around by the baggage handlers.  

I was thinking of taking my AZ-GTI and 150mm Newt, but I may look to buy a smaller tube. 

Some years ago I took an st80 with camera tripod and single zoom lens to Spain. The scope and ep was in my carry on and the tripod, suitably bagged, went in luggage.

I supposse a newt could go in luggage but would it survive the handling process?

I don’t think a newt would survive the journey. They fling the hold luggage about like sacks of potatoes 😪 would not like to see the mirror etc when it arrived. Then it has to survive the return journey

Check with your carrier as to what hold bagage weight and cabin baggage size restrictons apply.  They are certainly a lot less these days with the budget carriers than they were when I last took astro equipment on holiday. And I agree with everyone above, I would only carry optics in hand luggage.

As Clive says.

Don't contemplate putting expensive, delicate gear in the hold. A carbon fibre lightweight tripod would be ok though.

Hand baggage only. The size and weight limit are up to the airline.

I wouldn't take a Newt either. A small lightweight refractor is the way to go.

Take a look at http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/

Matthew has travelled extensively and his blog details lots of travel ideas and options with astro gear.

Thank you all for your advice. The Newt will be staying safely at home. I am on the hunt now for a small portable tube or some decent binoculars that won’t break the bank (or cause a divorce!!)

I've got some 15x70s which are pretty good, and fairly compact.  You may want to consider a monopod as well.

The other year i took just a pair of Nikon 10x42 monarch binoculars to Kelling, no scopes just the bins and my lounger. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it proved to me I didnt need apeture and mag to enjoy dark skies. I actually saw the North American neb with them as well, very faint and BIG!