• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Finally all goes well.

Paul Tomo

Apart from the nightmare of star alignment last night when first setting up everything went very well. My daughter helped me to star align the mount and scope, I think a wider field of view is needed when star alignment is being carried out, the wife also played a part in helping out. I could see the shadow being casted on Jupiter by one of its moons and the two dark rings on Jupiter, I would like to see more detail though so I think a filter will be needed. 

The filter will help with details on Saturn and Mars as well. What would be the best way of fixing my GoPro to the scope, I think I might be able to buy a ring for the Baader Hyperion eyepiece, if so I’ll be on my first steps to Astro photography.

The sky’s are very clear on the east coast, I’ll think I’ll stay for another night then go back home.

Thanks Paul Tomo

• Like 2

Good to hear it is all coming together for you.

You can get a nose piece which screws into the front of your Go Pro, you can then fit it to your scope like an eye piece.

2 hours ago, Paul Tomo said:

What would be the best way of fixing my GoPro to the scope

Oh dear the slippery slope has begun 😂😂😂

I'm glad you had a good night Paul, sometimes it just comes together and it makes up for all the frustrating times. I always use my lowest power when doing the star alignment, it makes it far easier.

20 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Oh dear the slippery slope has begun 😂😂😂

Slippery and expensive slope.

• Like 2