• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

And now, a new mount? Advice please..

Derbyshire Dave

Derbyshire Dave

Been fighting communicatiions problems with my HEQ5 Pro, and finally today returned it for a refund. SO.... a new mount then...

My main issue is that I have a very bad back, I could handle the HEQ5 Pro, no way that I could manage an EQ6, so moving away from Sky watcher, I have found the iOptron CEM-40, which weighs only 15.8 lbs with a payload of 40 ibs, which seems really good, and it looks like a much newer generation of gear than the Skywatcher products. Priced at £1779 with case and tripod.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ioptron-mounts/ioptron-cem40-center-balanced-equatorial-goto-mount.html

For another £1000 they have a version with RA encoders...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ioptron-mounts/ioptron-cem40-ec-center-balanced-equatorial-goto-mount-with-ra-encoder.html

They're saying that you can effectively turn off RA guiding, presumably PHD2 would still track declination drift.

That's a big chunk of dosh extra, I have no experience of this, could you let me know thoughts on the mounts and RA encoding please.

ALSO

Are there any other mounts that I should maybe consider, which might be light enough for me to manage but still be sturdy and have a reasonable payload.

Thanks guys..

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Derbyshire Dave

• Sheila

• bryand

• RonC

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FWIW I've had two iOptron mounts (a CEM25 and my current AZ Pro).  I have been impressed with the build quality and robustness of both, despite their low weight.  The CEM40's GPS is a plug-in dongle w

I can highly recommend the iPolar system Dave, very easy to use and very accurate.   Ron

I have a a Losmandy GM8 which is quite light, but I have just gone lighter with a harmonic drive mount. Have to decide when i get the new one if I want to sell the GM8 as its quite a nice light m

Derbyshire Dave

Interesting, FLO replied..

I do not normally recommend the EC versions. The encoder reduces the PE to virtually zero but does not model the mount and imaging train the way other encoder mounts such as the 10 Micron range do.

Thus you still need to autoguide and the guiding approach needs to be quite different to that normally employed, and some customers struggle to adapt to that. The standard CEM40 has low and smooth PE that easily guides out and is more than good enough.

I'd still be ineterested there are any other mounts I should be considering..

FWIW I've had two iOptron mounts (a CEM25 and my current AZ Pro).  I have been impressed with the build quality and robustness of both, despite their low weight.  The CEM40's GPS is a plug-in dongle which is a bit odd, but sensible in that once you know where you are and have set the clock, you no longer need a GPS.

If I were to add an equatorial mount to my kit, it would be a CEM40.

• Like 1
Derbyshire Dave
2 hours ago, bryand said:

FWIW I've had two iOptron mounts (a CEM25 and my current AZ Pro).  I have been impressed with the build quality and robustness of both, despite their low weight.  The CEM40's GPS is a plug-in dongle which is a bit odd, but sensible in that once you know where you are and have set the clock, you no longer need a GPS.

If I were to add an equatorial mount to my kit, it would be a CEM40.

Appreciate your comments Brian, thank you

I have a a Losmandy GM8 which is quite light, but I have just gone lighter with a harmonic drive mount.

Have to decide when i get the new one if I want to sell the GM8 as its quite a nice light mount and guides well so it may be one for you to look at, have not used it a lot really but the times I have it has behaved well.  I have no idea of the costs on new ones now, it may be too much?

I have no experience with the ioptron so cannot comment on those but i have heard good things from some folks.

I would always favour encoders but thats just me 😊

Edited by Sheila
  • Thanks 1
Derbyshire Dave
34 minutes ago, Sheila said:

I have a a Losmandy GM8 which is quite light, but I have just gone lighter with a harmonic drive mount.

Have to decide when i get the new one if I want to sell the GM8 as its quite a nice light mount and guides well so it may be one for you to look at, have not used it a lot really but the times I have it has behaved well.  I have no idea of the costs on new ones now, it may be too much?

I have no experience with the ioptron so cannot comment on those but i have heard good things from some folks.

I would always favour encoders but thats just me 😊

I'd realised that you were going for the harmonic drive, hope that goes well for you. The GM8 is not one I had considered, so it's interesting to add it as a possibility, I'll PM you.

Answered, best way is to try it and see 😊other folks may be able to chip in on comparing the 2 mounts although they are different animals really

I think a-lot depends Dave on where you intend to go scope wise in the future.

An 80mm class scope is much less demanding mount wise, than a 100mm or 120mm and above.

Losmandy make lovely quality mounts designed with high payloads in mind.

The GM8 entry level model will take 15kg but is not cheap approaching £3k

I'm not sure if that includes a tripod or not ? If it does and its the FHD, thats a heavy beast at 17kg,

pretty much bomb proof, but maybe not what you want with a bad back.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave

not the same mount you are looking at, but i have a  CEM25P the build quality is superb, i use this as my take anywhere mount with a payload of 27LBS, and  can mount my MAK 150 or Sharpstar 150. The only problems i have had is balancing, with it being a center type mount. Its really sensitive to on center weight on the sides.