• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter moon Conjunction

Ibbo

I warmed up with the Double double playing with different eyepieces with the Tak 102 and WO 132 and the Tak won again splitting it at x65 seeing not great I have done much better

a few globs M5,12,10,14,13

opens M11,16

and had a go at NGC6888 and thought I glimpsed it but cannot be sure

then the cloud came in

saw jupiter/moon at 3-00 then next at 03-16 so missed closest approach not even time to pop the camera in

did not spot venus either

Steve

I didn't get any other observing done, although the milky way was quite bright at 2.30ish on the East Coast, but it was clear for Jupiter grazing past the moon.

I'm 12 hour nights until mid-September so imaging is taking a back seat.

The view was spectacular from YO19. I have bins at work but Jupiter was easily visible by eye.

I also shot this from my mobile phone :P

jup_occul.jpg

Just wish I'd been at home as it would have been a fantastic first light for the new frac.

Regards.

I wish I could of seen it but at 00:30 this morning it was cloudy, so I went to bed. Good photo Paul.

Went out at 3.05 and there was a band of thick cloud right across the East horizon!! Clear in all other directions though!! Off back to bed at 3.20am, Oh to be in England blah blah blah!!

Ron

I set my alarm and just put on vibrate thinking I didn't want to wake Laura. You guessed it..... Slept right through :(

I took my Celestron 80 out just after 1am. It was lovely and clear. After 20 minutes of dark adaptation, the milky way was the best I'd seen it for a long time. Could pick out the northern coalsack in Cygnus. Enjoyed a lot of low power wide field scanning using the 80mm and bins. Just the popular clusters along the milky way, a few globulars and M31 looked far bigger than usual. Just after 2am the clouds rolled in and obscured everything so I went to bed. Had thought about setting the alarm for just before 3 or staying up on the offchance but didn't bother since I was really exhausted from an early start and I'd just had such a wonderful hour under a very good sky.

A good short session though. Hope someone has some close up pics of the conjunction/occultation.

That is a really nice pic.

With Jupiter in that position relative to the moon, he must have been in the south.

Ah, that explains it, thanks Kim.

Think it's been a bit hot in Greece lately.

I was at a "skydive boogie" all weekend. Basically a massive gathering of skydivers and a lot of jumping and alcohol consumption-never the two mixed though!!! Anyway I tried to go to sleep Saturday night (what a stupid idea) the party was still raging loudly outside my tent at 4am so I went for a walk and then the cloud cleared and I looked up and saw the conjunction. I had my iPhone and took a couple of snaps. Not great quality but couldn't resist :)