• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Spectrum of M57 with Star Analyser 100

Bassinghamobservatory

I have had the Star Analyser for a while but not used it very much. This was just tried as a fun target and has resulted in a colourful shot.

The diffraction grating is mounted in my filter wheel and fortunately the spacing seems to be about right. Note that there is a straight through image with stars as points, a dimmer spectrum to the left and the main spectrum to the right. It is not so easy to work out what is happening the ring nebula. I think the RGB image is near the centre of the frame, surprisingly that is fainter than the Oiii and Ha images. Not easy to see, but there is also another dim orange ring between those two.

Still studying the tutorials on how to process stellar spectra in order to identify the features and chemical compositions.

Taken using the Altair Astro 115mm and SXV H9C. A stack of 10 subs.

large.1176738701_M57spec.jpg.d25151fd92f89fc9b467ae098d007af0.jpg

Spectroscopy is a fascinating subject to get into.

I have been looking at the kit for a while now but like all astro stuff it is relatively expensive for the grating and the software package.