• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

METEOR ?

Bottletopburly

2 hours ago, Clive said:

Looks a bit like a satellite 'flare', is there any sign of it on the pre or post images?

I use the pre- and post- images to eliminate "meteors" too. 

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

No  doesn’t seem to be Clive this was a 2min exposure.

The 2 min exposure does not help. I use high ISO and 6 seconds exposure to "trap" meteors. My opinion is that it could be a meteor but could also be a satellite trail. Odds about 60/40 in favour of a meteor IMNSHO.

Having thought about it, the time the image was captured could rule out a satellite. If it was taken whilst M31 was in the 'position' of the Earth's shadow then there would be nothing to illuminate one.

5 hours ago, Clive said:

Having thought about it, the time the image was captured could rule out a satellite. If it was taken whilst M31 was in the 'position' of the Earth's shadow then there would be nothing to illuminate one.

Image taken at 21.33 hrs Clive not on images before or after 

At that time it could be satellite. With a 2 min exposure, unless it crossed the field of view near the start or end of the exposure it probably wouldn't show up on other images. 

• Like 1

Cannot see anything on the detector David.

Looks very muck like an Iridium flare.

Edited by Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Some non Iridium satellites can also cause a flare.  Earlier in the year, I saw one of the cargo ships to the ISS make a strong flare.  I was following it through a William Optics GT81 connected to a Canon 1100D.  Had I been on video mode, I would have had the flash, but I was shooting in fast burst mode to attempt to get better details (still tiny) on a lucky shot.  It's so long ago, I've now forgotten what day it was to trace back to have a look at the data. Probably find out the date of the space craft visit to ISS then look for it in my hoard of data.