• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Volt/Amp meter fitted.

RonC

Just finished wiring up and soldering this meter.

I have tested it out and was surprised how well it measured amps so tested the

scope balance, adjusted it and I will check it out next time I'm guiding!!

Outside, next to obsy.

large.1924550031_IMG_6559Meter(2).jpg.824ec2cb4c62892980f194f9e04c4330.jpg

and inside.

large.208399251_IMG_6560Meterin.jpg.d4f6b87001132da2565d31257e626b3f.jpg

Edited by RonC
added image

Excellent Ron , it was said in original video to wrap wire around power wire a few turns to make more sensitive reading  , will see how you get on 👍

Edited by Bottletopburly

Ok, I'll add some induction! 👍

Have you got a link to that video David?

Edited by RonC
added text

Looping the wire will only have an effect with a current clamp meter if you loop the supply wire though the clamp a few times. With a standard in-line current meter, there's nothing to loop around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This looks an interesting way of finely balancing a telescope/mount.

However I believe that the guy in the video is doing it in the wrong order.

He is balancing the RA axis first but should be balancing the DEC axis first.

If the DEC axis is not balanced when you balance the RA axis then the RA axis will only be correctly balanced when the DEC and RA angles are in the position that you balanced them.

If you then move the RA axis or the Dec axis to different angles it will not be balanced.

If you balance the DEC axis before you balance the RA axis then this will not be an issue.

Here's an example showing an unbalanced DEC axis with a balanced RA axis ( when horizontal ).  As you can see, the RA axis is only balanced in one position due to the unbalanced DEC axis.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvrgxhypw7ghoru/bakancing.MOV?dl=0

Edited by TasKiNG

Hmm, I always thought a bit of imbalance is a good thing. My old CGE mk1 mount certainly guided better out of balance. I used to spend ages getting perfect balance only to see a poor phd graph. Then by accident I got the best guiding ever once and found balance was way off. I then deliberately set up with a bit of in balance on both axes after that and all was well. I suppose it,s down to the mounts.

@RonC how did you wire your amp/voltage meter i have same as you  three pins positive, neg and output, currently have a voltage only meter so will swap out .

On 25/09/2020 at 11:39, philjay said:

Hmm, I always thought a bit of imbalance is a good thing. My old CGE mk1 mount certainly guided better out of balance. I used to spend ages getting perfect balance only to see a poor phd graph. Then by accident I got the best guiding ever once and found balance was way off. I then deliberately set up with a bit of in balance on both axes after that and all was well. I suppose it,s down to the mounts.

Imbalance is good for gear driven mounts as it keeps the gears meshed when being driven, its makes very little difference for belt driven mounts as they have very little backlash ( or should not have 😉 )

42 minutes ago, RonC said:

My NEQ6 is belt driven (thanks to Graham) hence the balancing act!

Mine too after fixing RVO lash up conversion

Fitted can’t say it’s accurate enough I’ll stick to manually balancing I thing to much play in the reading 

On 26/09/2020 at 18:13, RonC said:

My NEQ6 is belt driven (thanks to Graham) hence the balancing act!

Is the NEQ6 fully belt drive?

Or is it belt driven worms?

If so it will still have backlash, albeit reduced compared to the older way SW did it with gearing driving the worm. Thats why I put the belt mod on my HEQ5 to reduce backlash and inprove guiding but it still has the inherent worm backlash.

My NEQ6 has a belt drive, installed by Graham. It doesn't 'swing' easily to balance it hence trying out the volt/amp method which so far seems to be working..