• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

B72 Snake in Altair Astro 102 triplet.

Guest ollypenrice

Guest ollypenrice

Hi All, I have the Atair Astro 102 triplet on test for Astronomy Now so I won't say much about it yet, since that wouldn't be fair to the magaizine. However, I can share my first light with you. The scope is F7 so I went for something dark and faint to see how F7 plays out on a low light image. This target is a challenge for a scope not only because of the faintness but because it is very low in the sky, because the stars are wall to wall and because there is a bright blue star that will fox a poorly colour corrected instrument, especially when it's as low in the sky as this. I also have a reference image taken by a guest with this very camera and filters in his own 4 inch scope - a Tak FSQ106. Now that IS a challenge since we all know what FSQs cost.... I'll say nothing more, but here's a link to the same object/camera in the FSQ106

http://www.sunstarfrance.com/gallery_orig/images_lg/barnard72.jpg

and here's the same object at the longer FL of the Altair Astro 102 triplet;

B72-SNAKE-ALTAIR-TRIPLET-L.jpg

That compares very nicely with the 106 Olly - not a lot in it to the untrained eye at all. Excellent image :)

Vey nice images Olly. I would love to come to your part of the world and see the skies through my 200p. I bet it would beat the hell out of the inner city views I have in Leicester!!