• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M33

RonC

Nice one Ron. There seems to be quite a lot of detail 'hiding' in the light pollution and I suspect applying a gradient removal tool first would allow it to be pulled out.

I can't get Gradient Xterminater to work as it's a 64 bit program and my PS6 is only a 32 bit Program!!

I'll have a play later to see if I can get more out of it!

Edited by RonC

Can't you use another package just to remove the gradient prior to continuing with your normal processing in PS? For example, you could import the TIF or FIT file from your stacking software into IRIS, apply the gradient removal tool from the processing menu and save the result as a TIF or FIT file for further processing in PS.

Well, for using IRIS for the first time straight out of the box, I would say that's a result!  It certainly appears to me to be an improvement in terms of the galaxy detail.  When you've got a large target like that, it's best to use a mask to 'hide' the galaxy otherwise IRIS includes it in the sky background calculation (which is why I suspect the corners are bright using the default settings).  Without a mask, I would set the background detection and the fit precision both to low. (but with 3 options for both, you've got 9 options to try!)