• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Altair GPCAM3 178C

Glafnazur

Has anyone got any experience of the Altair GPCAM3 178C? I was looking at possibly buying the ZWO ASI 178MC and then saw this, which is around £30 cheaper, and wondered if there was any major difference?

I was thinking of using it mainly for lunar, planetary and a little DSO. I don't get too many chances to get out these days so I don't want to commit to anything too expensive. 

The chips are the same but was wondering if Altair cameras are as good as ZWO. ZWO seem very popular at the moment.

I got a qhy 290 mono did look at 178 zwo and qhy ,went qhy as bullet type and 290 has larger pixels and higher frame rates still yet to use for planetary or lunar fine as a guide camera 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the zwo 178 mc cool version and it’s brilliant. Never let me down. They don’t make he cooled version now but I’ve seen some dso pics from an un cooled version and they looked more than acceptable eg low noise. Good frame rate in video mode too