• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Mars With Bino's

Nightspore

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nightspore

• newtyng5

• seven_legs

• Bino-viewer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mars has been pretty good this year, well, compared to 2018 anyway. I'd been viewing Mars occasionally even in May. I'd got a bad case of 'Mars fever' early on.      As you can see

All we need is a clear sky...................................................................................................................

Definitely! 

Nice report.

I'm still waiting for a night of above average seeing (average = poor for me here in Derby) 

to max the power out on Mars. Usually my seeing conditions limit me to 125 - 170x approx here when i'm viewing planets.

But one can only persist and hope for a better night.

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

Nice report.

I'm still waiting for a night of above average seeing (average = poor for me here in Derby) 

to max the power out on Mars. Usually my seeing conditions limit me to 125 - 170x approx here when i'm viewing planets.

But one can only persist and hope for a better night.

Thanks. I think October isn't the best time for an opposition, primarily due to the humidity (I'm talking about you dew!). I had the 5" heated dew shield on the Mak, I can't recall using it before even though I bought it years ago. I can normally get away with an unheated shield. Around this time of the year the Newtonian gets out more mainly because of the dewing. I got 300x on Mars last night with the 150mm Newtonian (in mono mode of course). The seeing was far better than the transparency though. I've always preferred to push the envelope with Mars. I got a really sharp 160x on the Saturn opposition (80 ED DS Pro) this year. I thought anything more than 160x would be pushing it.