• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First real shots with the new scope NGC7000

Alec

Nice image, I'm not used to seeing it that way up 😊.  I'm intrigued as to what is causing the dual star diffraction spikes, are the opposing arms of secondary holder offset from each other?

3 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Nice work Alec I’m assuming you have a duo filter by the star colour 

It’s the OPTOLONG L-eNhance in the quick release single zwo filter draw 

14 minutes ago, Clive said:

Nice image, I'm not used to seeing it that way up 😊.  I'm intrigued as to what is causing the dual star diffraction spikes, are the opposing arms of secondary holder offset from each other?

large.C9C0A70E-97F6-4E12-9BB6-8152876C5F7C.jpeg.ea57640d79534b22f1e50a953fbeab48.jpeg

• Like 1

I’d black those nuts though Alec  you would think they would have covered those 

Well they certainly appear to be diametrically opposite but looking at what appears to be reflections off the vanes in that image (as well as the nuts) they appear to be 'shiney' so I wonder it it could be due to that? But don't get me wrong, it's a great image that I would love to be able to obtain; it was purely an observation of something that I haven't seen before. (Many years ago when I built my 10" newt, I designed 3 vane secondary support thinking I would just get 3 diffraction spikes and obviously ended with up with 6, but these days when using a stopped down camera lens I get dozens!)

24 minutes ago, Clive said:

Well they certainly appear to be diametrically opposite but looking at what appears to be reflections off the vanes in that image (as well as the nuts) they appear to be 'shiney' so I wonder it it could be due to that? But don't get me wrong, it's a great image that I would love to be able to obtain; it was purely an observation of something that I haven't seen before. (Many years ago when I built my 10" newt, I designed 3 vane secondary support thinking I would just get 3 diffraction spikes and obviously ended with up with 6, but these days when using a stopped down camera lens I get dozens!)

No problem, it’s all new to me only ever used refractors. Out comes the air fix mat black paint 👍

48 minutes ago, Chris P. said:

Nice one Alec - how are you getting on with Pixinsight?

Looks complex Chris, so i processed it by just by following a Youtube tutorial. Hopefully at some stage i will be able to take the OSC data and split the channels, and process it to the hubble palette, but that's way beyond me atm. 

@Alec it’s easier than you might think - and there is a trick or 2 with dual narrowband data to really make your images pop. Just give us a shout - Happy to share

19 minutes ago, Chris P. said:

@Alec it’s easier than you might think - and there is a trick or 2 with dual narrowband data to really make your images pop. Just give us a shout - Happy to share

Thx Chris

Will take you up on that, will drop you a dm