• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Stopping my gear getting washed away??

Derbyshire Dave

Well, ClearOutside says it's gonna be great in an hour, but at the moment, it's weeing it down! That's a surprise!

It has brought to mind my last session, seeing was in and out, but I'd left the gear out, planning to bring it in at midnight. I monitor from within the house, and noted PHD 'Boinging' a few times, but then recovering. I wasn't overly worried, no rain was forecast, but when I went outside it had rained, mount and scope had heavy raindrops, I was quite surprised.

Which leads me to think that there must be rain monitors? I know that there are systems to close observatory roofs etc, so they must exist. I can envisage several levels available, maybe working via wi-fi to alert you that the gear is about to be washed down the street....

Is anyone aware of any please, i could see me investing in one..

The trouble is, depending upon how much of a downpour it happens to be, the kit is likely to be wet before the rain has been detected and the roof (whether with an automated mechanism or you rushing ouside) has had time close.

A rainfall radar image (the met or http://www.raintoday.co.uk/) will give you advance warning of any approaching showers.

Edited by Clive
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Clive said:

The trouble is, depending upon how much of a downpour it happens to be, the kit is likely to be wet before the rain has been detected and the roof (whether with an automated mechanism or you rushing ouside) has had time close.

Yeah, I can see that Clive, thanks. I haven't got an observatory, just thinking I could rush out and bring it in/ cover it up.. I was not thinking of leaving it out unless forecast clear all night.

Picture me im my jim-jams (No don't honestly!), rushing out and covering things up!

3 minutes ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Picture me im my jim-jams (No don't honestly!), rushing out and covering things up!

That has ruined my night worrying that I may picture it 😆. I was editing my post when you replied to add the rainfall radar bit. I don't know if you've ever used them but the are only about 15 min old and you can see if any water is approaching and estimate when it will reach you.

• Haha 1

RainToday is good, thanks Clive, have bookmarked it..

24 minutes ago, RonC said:

Also check out 'will it rain today' Dave.... at raintoday.co.uk

Thans Ron, yeah that's the one that Clive mentioned above.

I would still like to know if there are any actual alarms available..

32 minutes ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

I would still like to know if there are any actual alarms available..

Try leaving some washing on the line? (my wife would always inform me when it started to rain 🤗)

• Haha 2

Many years ago their were cloud detection sensors that I think were based upon the 50Hz modulation of the local light pollution reflecting off the clouds! Oh, if only they wouldn't work these days!

The only one I know is the hi tech Astro one but it’s very expensive. Sold by first light optics now . It’s on my obsy as it came with it. 
must be cheaper options though 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Clive said:

Many years ago their were cloud detection sensors that I think were based upon the 50Hz modulation of the local light pollution reflecting off the clouds! Oh, if only they wouldn't work these days!

And if I remember correctly,  they were based upon the ubiquitous ORP12 LDR (a favourite amongst budding electronic engineers) which you can still get for about £1.

14 hours ago, Ibbo said:

I keep looking at this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATER-SENSOR-MODULE-WITH-IN-BUILT-SWITCHING-RELAY-RAIN-SNOW-SENSOR-M152/142912841924

I did also did  build a cloud sensor which works on sky temp with an arduino which worked OK till it fell off and smashed on the floor.

14 hours ago, Clive said:

And if I remember correctly,  they were based upon the ubiquitous ORP12 LDR (a favourite amongst budding electronic engineers) which you can still get for about £1.

Thanks Steve,

That's interesting isn't it.. Hmmm, have to think about that..

4 hours ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Thanks Steve,

That's interesting isn't it.. Hmmm, have to think about that..

I have only gone and ordered one.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Having connected it all up I left it out by mistake when I packed up last night and it informed me of the snow (very light) so as far as this limited test goes it works.

Edited by Ibbo

42 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

Having connected it all up I left it out by mistake when I packed up last night and it informed me of the snow (very light) so as far as this limited test goes it works.

Oooh, that's good isn't it. Was it hard to wire up?