• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Part of the California Nebula in HA

red dwalf

Oooh, like that Rob, lots of detail. Can you do flats to remove the smudge?

Strangely enough the smudge shows up on the flats, i think I've narrowed it down to the reducer or camera lenses.

smudge on screen

8 hours ago, red dwalf said:

Strangely enough the smudge shows up on the flats, i think I've narrowed it down to the reducer or camera lenses.

smudge on screen

Morning Rob,

That's the idea. If it shows up on the flats, and on the lights, it should subtract out and not be there on your processed image..

Tried that Dave, did 41 flats but it still showed on the stacked image leaving a funny dark patch where the smudge is on the flats

1 hour ago, red dwalf said:

Tried that Dave, did 41 flats but it still showed on the stacked image leaving a funny dark patch where the smudge is on the flats

Hmmm. It's always easy to comment, not so easy to get the real solution. Unless you have a cooled camera, the flats are going to be taken at a different temperature, so maybe that's part of the answer?

2 hours ago, red dwalf said:

This was taken with my Atik 460 mono which I always cool to minus 10

OK. Can't think of anthing else Rob, sorry..

I don't see any obvious 'smudge' in the image you posted in the area that has the 'smudge' on your flat image.  Is it actually there on the raw image or did it only appear after applying the flats to the image?

In applying the flats to an image, the image is the numerator and the flats are used as the divisor, so, for the resulting image to show a darker region after a flats have been applied, the flat 'smudge' must be 'brighter' than the image 'smudge'.

In the image there aren't any flats added, I wanted to add some but after I took the flat I noticed the smudge on the flats only which was strange, I did try adding the flat files but the smudge showed up on the final image and I found it difficult to process out without it being obvious, last night I added my Canon 1100D to the scope did some flats after imaging M31 and no signs of the smudge, I did clean the focal reducer first so hopefully something on the reducer was the problem, will try doing some flats again when I change cameras back.