• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Meteor hit ?

Bottletopburly

It looks like a satellite flare to me. The centre-left part of the trail (whether it's the start or finish) seems too abrupt to be a meteor as I would expect a diminishing trail intensity whereas it appears to suddenly appear/disappear.  I would guess that when you started the exposure, the object was at centre-left and disappeared centre-bottom out of the frame. With a 240 sec sub, the chances are that a satellite would not be visible in either pre or post subs unless it happened to be in the field of view just after the start or just before the end of that sub (and dependant upon the gap between subs). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Clive said:

It looks like a satellite flare to me. The centre-left part of the trail (whether it's the start or finish) seems too abrupt to be a meteor as I would expect a diminishing trail intensity whereas it appears to suddenly appear/disappear.  I would guess that when you started the exposure, the object was at centre-left and disappeared centre-bottom out of the frame. With a 240 sec sub, the chances are that a satellite would not be visible in either pre or post subs unless it happened to be in the field of view just after the start or just before the end of that sub (and dependant upon the gap between subs). 

Cheers clive 

Of course the date and time of the exposure could also eliminate a satellite.  To see them they obviously need to be illuminated by the sun, so if the imaged area of the sky happened to be in the Earth's shadow at the time then it couldn't be a satellite (unless it had put on it's re-entry lights 😊)

• Like 1

Deffo a satellite. Meteors flare up, and dont continue at a standard magnitude after,the brightness diminishes quite quickly, or at least has some variance. This image has none of that.

Nice piccy though!

• Like 1