• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Another crack at the Crescent...

Derbyshire Dave

That is better perhaps boost the ha a little to get more of the surface data if you wish as well as the blue halo. But much better

• Thanks 1

That does look better Dave 🖒

I usually set the all the histogram peaks to the same value (since for most astrophotos that is the level of the sky background) and then use curves if required to match the shape of the histograms. However, I'm not sure whether PS shows the actual peak since it seems to clip them.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Clive said:

That does look better Dave 🖒

I usually set the all the histogram peaks to the same value (since for most astrophotos that is the level of the sky background) and then use curves if required to match the shape of the histograms. However, I'm not sure whether PS shows the actual peak since it seems to clip them.

Thanks Clive.

The hsitogram tool in Photoshop could be much better from an astronomy point of view. I've wondered, and looked, in the past for a plug-in better version, but not found one.

9 minutes ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Thanks Clive.

The hsitogram tool in Photoshop could be much better from an astronomy point of view. I've wondered, and looked, in the past for a plug-in better version, but not found one.

I guess it was designed for everyday images that generally tend to have the histogram more evenly spread over the full intensity range. The same is true for Affinity. I've created an Excel spreadsheet that plots out the histograms so I can examine them in detail if I need to.

19 minutes ago, Clive said:

I guess it was designed for everyday images that generally tend to have the histogram more evenly spread over the full intensity range. The same is true for Affinity. I've created an Excel spreadsheet that plots out the histograms so I can examine them in detail if I need to.

Impressed Clive. The PixInsight Histogram tool is good, now that I know where the issues are, I'll be having a go at replicating my Photoshop Curves/Levels/Curves in Pixy..

• 1 month later...