• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Visual scope

Have they got a budget in mind.

Has he any experience with scopes, would he be able to collimate a newt ??

A Dob would be the way to go as far as bang for buck goes but you then need to know your way around the sky.

Edited by Graham

I don’t think so Graham  he off to uni in London next year so something to leave at home i was just going to leave a few suggestions then it gives them an idea I was thinking refractor purely for storage , portability keeps collimation better than a newt , yes a dob would be a good choice but depends if he wants to star hop the mount I linked can be done Via an app and that mount gets a good rating for beginners being go to , I can only suggest various options with pros and cons and let them decide not sure on budget but I don’t think that’s an issue .

What is his level of experience? What does he want to look at? How much room does he have for storage? How committed is he?  The list of variables is endless so there is never a perfect answer. However, for observing the widest range of targets generally and where size and weight are not a factor then I would always recommend the biggest aperture reflector that is affordable. Of course, lower limits apply and that it where price comes into play. I would always chose a 60mm refractor over a 60mm reflector  but as the aperture increases then my choice would be reversed, just based upon the divergence of the prices. But at the moment, you've also got the (unusual) factor of availability to consider!

• Like 1

The ST102 isn't a bad choice as an entry level scope. Mine (now with a MoonLite focuser) still gets out a fair bit.

spacer.png

It's the biggest refractor I can get out easily and set-up relatively quickly (negligible cool down time). I usually use it now on a Porta II with an APP T-130 mount/tripod combo. Before that I used an AZ5.

spacer.png

Its advantages are that it is quite resilient and can be transported relatively easily. Its predominant disadvantage is that it's an achromat and as a consequence has some CA. It's a decent enough rich field scope though. I've had some great Moonless nights with mine. Last year my ST102 went out more times than any other scope. I've had twenty sessions with it this year alone, the 72ED DS Pro just edging it out with 25 sessions (I've had 91 sessions this year).   

spacer.png

Speaking of which, the 72ED is a little more expensive, and only 72mm, but it seriously rocks as an all-rounder. It only weighs just under two kilo.

spacer.png

So far this year, I've had this out more than any other scope. I've had good rich field and lunar/planetary views, including Mars. 

I'd think about a pair of 12x50 or 12x60 bins and an astronomy beginner book.

I won't recommend one for obvious reasons.

Somebody that age has a lot of calls on their time, so whatever you get, it needs to be essentially grab-and-go and quick and memorable to set up.

That points towards binoculars and maybe a tripod or monopod.

Alternatively, something like the Skywatcher Heritrage-90 may fit the budget.

5 hours ago, bryand said:

Somebody that age has a lot of calls on their time, so whatever you get, it needs to be essentially grab-and-go and quick and memorable to set up.

That points towards binoculars and maybe a tripod or monopod.

Alternatively, something like the Skywatcher Heritrage-90 may fit the budget.

yes Bryan I agree I will speak to my friend the lad  may already have binoculars and looking around may struggle to find stock of whichever telescope they choose maybe they may need to wait for a telescope for a later date maybe a book on binocular targets may be of more use .

I like the 102 refractor you linked to David.

Although the tripod looks a bit flimsy.

A 4" class refractor will show you some nice views.

I use one my self and its a nice grab / go size.

• Like 1

The AZ5 is actually pretty stable with the ST102. 

spacer.png

I changed to the Porta II mainly because it's easier to operate the alt-az with one hand. It's good with my 80ED DS Pro as well.

spacer.png

My AZ5 was bundled with my 127mm Mak. I've rarely used the 127mm Mak with it though. It's OK for my 102mm Mak and it will hold the ST102. It just doesn't feel secure with a 127mm Mak

• Like 2

Right chaps @graham @clive @Bino-viewer @Nightspore @BAZ @bryand my mates gf messaged me as suspected all telescopes out of stock awaiting delivery she seen https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/celestron-astro-fi-6-sct-telescope.html now would you recommend this for visual or she asked should she just wait for stock to replenish   not familiar with sct scopes , I’m tempted to tell her to phone Flo and speak to Dave Eagle and see what stock they do have for a beginner for visual what’s your thoughts.

3 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Right chaps @graham @clive @Bino-viewer @Nightspore @BAZ @bryand my mates gf messaged me as suspected all telescopes out of stock awaiting delivery she seen https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/celestron-astro-fi-6-sct-telescope.html now would you recommend this for visual or she asked should she just wait for stock to replenish   not familiar with sct scopes , I’m tempted to tell her to phone Flo and speak to Dave Eagle and see what stock they do have for a beginner for visual what’s your thoughts.

It looks like a nice scope but an SCT isn't really an all-rounder. At f/10 rich field isn't going to be easy. I don't know what the recipient's experience or ambitions with astronomy are, so it's very difficult to say.

https://www.altairastro.com/evostar-80ed-ds-pro-ota-80mm-f600-ed-apo-refractor-523-p.asp

https://www.astroshop.eu/alt-azimuth-without-goto/skywatcher-mount-az-5-with-tripod/p,49495

These look like they're in stock. The 80ED is only 80mm admittedly but I normally recommend this (or something similar) to beginners as it is a really good all rounder. The OTA comes complete with a carrying case, a diagonal, and an eyepiece. 

spacer.png

Mine before and after aftermarket rotating focuser added. The stock focuser is dual-speed and very good, but it doesn't rotate, which is important for me.

spacer.png

I use a reflex sight but the bundled 'straight-through' is capable enough and good quality. The diagonal is pretty good as well. The 28mm LET (no doubt a reversed Kellner) works well at f/7.5 and gives impressive enough views at about 21x. It's quite an ergonomically pleasing eyepiece to use. 

spacer.png

• Like 1