• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hypothetical scenario of a Dark site meet.

Graham

Here is a Hypothetical scenario of a Dark site meet.

6 people meet up for a star watching session.

Unbeknown one of you has the virus but no symptoms.

You all abide by the social distancing rules and enjoy the nights viewing.

In the dark one of you trips over a tripod or whatever and is injured.

The other 5 are not going to be thinking ‘ Social distancing ‘ but will rush to help the injured party.

So now by a simple quirk of fate all 6 of you are now infected.

You go home and pass the virus on to a loved one, A wife, A child, A family member.

This loved one suffers a bad reaction to the virus and (God forbid) succumbs to this terrible virus and along with the other 60 odd thousand people (and counting) consequentially dies.

Would you still consider it to be such a good idea to have had this meeting.

Discuss 

You make the case for not meeting that my daughter the a & e consultant keeps telling me. She sees hundreds of folks who thought it would be ok just to ...,,

it’s not don’t meet anyone you do not have to or go anywhere you do not have to please. 

i don’t want her to catch it either but she has to meet all those who have  she has no choice in the matter 😒

Edited by Sheila

I know a few of you will remember Mrs R, Nikki Rushin, she was an A&E nurse at Kingsmill Hospital and has now moved into the Psychiatric side of things.

She has just spent two weeks in her own intensive care unit on high pressure oxygen. Her colleagues told her when she was eventually sent home that they didn't think she would make it. She's been told it will take months to make even close to a full recovery and may not ever be back to full fitness due to the damage that has been done to her lungs. 

Yeah I suppose huge gatherings like kelling weeks before a 2nd lockdown, which everyone knew was going to happen at some point soon should of never gone ahead.

i wonder if fans begin let back into stadiums is a good idea.

i been working with covid patients since the beginning of it all at the city hospital.

anyway some hope on the horizon with the vaccine.

I think Graham makes a good point. 

However ..

Kelling happened, in between lockdowns > and all those doubts and issues washed away. Which i believe several of  you frequented.

A meeting with perhaps a hundred people, because lockdown ended , but the virus was still rife... this was a good idea, and risk free?

Considering now a meeting of a socially distanced 6 .... i rather fancy my odds with that.

After all, i went to tesco today, and there were hundreds there bumping into each other. Obviously that dosn't make it right.

That being said, it should be up to each individual to make an informed choice.

So many have died, and i have not seen my father (in a care home) since March....

Living in a bortle 8, tiny garden.... neighbours that party even in the lockdown, security lights everywhere... it would be nice to get out and do what i have enjoyed since i was 11yrs old.

Maybe i should book a pitch at kelling.... that's risk free apparently.

Anyway in all seriousness , stay safe and take care.... and hope to see you all soon (ish)

Actually kelling was very quite and everyone kept their distance. I felt safe. The fact remains that while in tier 3 there should be no none essential travel. And I'm afraid going to a dark site is not essential no matter how you try to spin it.

59 minutes ago, tuckstar said:

Actually kelling was very quite and everyone kept their distance. I felt safe. The fact remains that while in tier 3 there should be no none essential travel. And I'm afraid going to a dark site is not essential no matter how you try to spin it.

Don’t think anyone it’s trying to put a spin on it. 

Its replying to a post that someone has put.

Graham is right. But that situation can happen walking down the street.

Rob has a right to voice his opinion just like others.

not everyone is going to agree with you fantastic people all the time and

as to say people are putting a spin on things I find very arrogant and saddening.

Anyway,

I have spoken😊

2 hours ago, seven_legs said:

to say people are putting a spin on things I find very arrogant and saddening

This comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. Sorry if you thought it was.

Stay safe everyone and hope at the 16th December we may get moved down a tier. Debates as to what has happened with a degree in hindsight are generally not useful. We are where we are but hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel albeit quite a distance in the future. 

Yeah, sorry got the wrong end of the stick.

Everyone is looking forward to the end of lockdown and having a pint or three.

stay safe all.

• Like 3

Got to be careful what i say on here, but suffice to say, i take a rather different view to whats been happening in the world this year.

I'll leave it there, before i ruffle feathers.

I think a lot of people think that once these so called vaccines are administered, everything will be hunky-dory and life will quickly return to 'normality'.

Thats not going to happen for a long time.

Another point is that these current restrictions will not be ending any time soon. These ludicrous 'tiers' are unlikely to alter, and it seems to me there will be no

possibility of doing any sort of the social things we use to take for granted, minus all these draconian do's and don'ts.

Has the admin considered the 'Dark Site Membership' ? 

If we cannot use these sites that some of us pay for on what now appears to be an indefinite timeframe, given current restrictions, why are we paying for the privilage  ?

That is entirely up to you about the dark sites. I for one continue to pay to allow this website and forum to continue, without the fees it would not as this site is free access.
As for the tier system it appears to be working as the R rate is now between 0.8 and 1.0.  Down from 1.1  to 1.3 which is very positive as now the virus is shrinking which is what is required for us to get back to something like normal 😊

as soon as we are in tier 2 I assume the dark sites will resume. That’s not too distant I think and I remain very positive on this. It should give me more time as the nhs responders will need less of the assistance and time I give collecting and delivering essential stuff to folks. 

I am gladdened how the virus has moved folks to acts of kindness and help that were sometimes lacking before. I hope that state of mind continues

roll on 2021 😁

Just to add my 2p's worth on the subject of dark site payments and their use, (and I would like to stress at this point my comments are NOT aimed at anybody, they are not meant in any form of malice, they are simply facts) that if we do not have enough dark site members, then we do not have enough money coming in, so one (or both) dark sites will be closed.

It is as simple as that.

How we make the decision on which one, I am not sure and was hoping that would be a decision I would never have to make.

Thanks to our sponsor, the website is free to use (which was NOT the case a number of years ago, it was the dark site members who paid for the website AND the dark sites). 

You could argue that £20 a year is nothing, to some, it is nothing, to others, it could be too much, for some, its the principal of paying for something but not being able to use it, I get it, I understand but as I eluded to above, if we do not have enough dark site members, then one or both will have to close.

Also, as i`m the one who has to work with Sharon up at Belper, to allow us access to her site, sort payment etc and also work with WW parish council on contracts, risk surveys, Health and safety and all that (as you must when working with a council / govt entity), I personally do not fancy stopping and starting, stopping and starting contracts and payments.

If anybody wishes to stop paying for the dark sites, then fine, thank you for your past support and I hope to see you again, to those who keep on paying, thank you for your past and continued support and I hope to see you soon.

Stay safe everyone and hopefully we can get back to some sort of altered normality soon (what ever and where ever that might be).

Edited by Daz Type-R

Just a clarification on the above. We also have to pay public liability insurance and this would not alter in amount if one dark site was cancelled. We operate on a very tight shoestring and all your support as dark site members is appreciated as some on here cannot observe or image from home.  Also some pay the fee and do not use the dark site just as support for us. I thank them too

if the figures keep going (covid) down I am hopeful for tier 2 on the 16th December. Let’s all keep our fingers and toes crossed 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Wishful thinking.

Looks like they'll be no observing at either of our dark sites for the foreseeable.

And i can't see things changing 'for the better' probably till April next year.

Even that may be overly optimistic with these lunatics running the country.

Agreed Rob,  Easter at the earliest at this rate. We got an email from HR yesterday stating that the college's working practices for the spring term are staying as they are currently so that's me working at home until Easter unless something drastic happens. At least I won't have to get up so early, all I need is some clear skies and something to dry out my lawn, at the moment I think the scope and mount would disappear forever in the mud.