• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Phd2 multi star guiding

Quick session before freezing fog stopped play , half way through remembered phd2 multi star update so quick update and Enabled multi star ,WOW  rms dropped from about 1.70 to 1.20 ish , next outing I will have a better look but definitely worth a try will recalibrate next outing was a bit rushed tonight as clouds were forecast .

2 hours ago, Graham said:

If this is multi star does that mean it will turn a camera rotator on a scope mounted on an ALT / AZI  mount to stop field rotation ???

I don't think that's the intention, and anyway, can you get camera rotators that are sufficiently accurate to do that? I thought that they were fairly coarse and just for remote orientation of the imaging camera FOV.

32 minutes ago, Clive said:

I don't think that's the intention, and anyway, can you get camera rotators that are sufficiently accurate to do that? I thought that they were fairly coarse and just for remote orientation of the imaging camera FOV.

Whilst you can get very accurate rotators ( for one heck of a price ) you cannot guide using a standard guiding software.

I was hoping that by using multiple stars it could control a rotator and guide at the same time.

Edited by Graham
7 hours ago, Graham said:

If this is multi star does that mean it will turn a camera rotator on a scope mounted on an ALT / AZI  mount to stop field rotation ???

No Graham it just gives a better average I’m assuming , though it’s probably possible for them to develop it in theory just needs software to bridge to the rotator everything works through ascom as it is , maybe one for phd2 development.

On 06/12/2020 at 20:31, Bottletopburly said:

Quick session before freezing fog stopped play , half way through remembered phd2 multi star update so quick update and Enabled multi star ,WOW  rms dropped from about 1.70 to 1.20 ish , next outing I will have a better look but definitely worth a try will recalibrate next outing was a bit rushed tonight as clouds were forecast .

Dave, thanks for the heads up on this. Sounds promising from what you say.

Keen to give this a go on the next clear night... they might have given some clear for Saturday!

• Like 2