• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

2" eye piece

Milzy

Have finally purchased a telescope with a 2" focuser and looking for some nice eye pieces. Should I buy all 2" EP or buy the reducer to 1.25 and buy all 1.25.

Cheers Mike 

I would buy the reducer and aim for a selection of both.

You need something like.

30mm for widefield in 2" format

20 mm in 1.25"

16mm in 1.25"

10mm in 1.25"

6mm in 1.25"

This gives you a nice spread and covers all most everything.

What scope did you buy and what eyepieces are you looking at?

Cheers Doc, great explanation, very helpfull. I have the sw 100ed and looking for 3 different EP not including a Barlow or zoom piece, have just read an article on the best one's for the 100ed and they recommend a 5,12 and 32mm. Does that sound about right? Then I could get a 32 in a 2" and the others in 1.25, Also it comes with a field reducer will it still work with the 1.25 EP

Thanks again Mike

2 hours ago, Milzy said:

Cheers Doc, great explanation, very helpfull. I have the sw 100ed and looking for 3 different EP not including a Barlow or zoom piece, have just read an article on the best one's for the 100ed and they recommend a 5,12 and 32mm. Does that sound about right? Then I could get a 32 in a 2" and the others in 1.25, Also it comes with a field reducer will it still work with the 1.25 EP

Thanks again Mike

Hide

That sounds about right but get one between 12mm and 32mm say 20mm.

So you will have.

5mm

12mm

20mm 

32mm

With that line up you will not need a barlow. Personally i never use barlows, it's just another piece of glass in the optic train and in my mind degrades the image.

Edited by Doc

Not sure if it does, its not arrived yet but in the description of kit is comes with is a diagonal, focal reducer and a 28mm EP. Has any of you guys used the Baader hyperion set of 4 from flo, they fit 2" and 1.25 at 375 quid tho there expensive. 

Mike

spacer.png

My guess is that the diagonal and the 28mm are the same as these.

spacer.png

The 28mm LET (Long Eye relief Twist up eyeguard) is a reversed Kellner I think. It's virtually indestructible.

spacer.png

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-aspheric.html

spacer.png

I'm quite partial to the Baader Hyperion Aspherics. I use them a lot.

I have the Sky Watcher Panaviews and for the money I can't fault them. I have the 38mm, which I bought solely to get the whole of the veil neb in and a 26mm, which hits the sweet spot for faint fuzzy hunting.

I started off with the Baader set-of-4, to which I added their 31mm Aspheric, which I still have.  A nice set of lenses, which I always used as 2" for maximum field of view and mechanical stability.

The hyperions are great eyepieces but don't perform as well in fast scopes. I had an f7 and they were great, but when I moved to f5 they weren't so good so I went to explore scientific. I use the 100° range but the 82° and lower get great reviews as well.

I did have a 32mm panaview as Baz mentioned above and for its price I couldn't fault it but it's gone to a new home now. But only for the simple reason it had the same fov as my 20mm es so didn't see much point keeping it.

Edited by tuckstar

I don't really own many 2" eyepieces.

spacer.png

The ones I do are mainly for low power/rich field observing.

spacer.png

Remember that weight can be a significant factor.

spacer.png

I bought the 18mm ES (above left) principally to replace the 19mm Celestron Luminos (above right). The Luminos is considerably heavier. I prefer it ergonomically in many ways and it has a 30mm field stop. The 18mm ES is better in faster scopes, although the eye relief is tight IMO.