• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Prime focus adapter

Milzy

When attaching a dslr camera to a telescope do you need the prime focus adapter solely to use eyepieces? With out it I take it your just using the power of the camera.

Thanks Mike

Think I have this mixed up, without an eyepiece projection adaptor just using the camera is called prime focus. Then using the above adaptor is so you can use EP. Does that sound about right🤯

The dslr camera is a Sony a7ii and telescope is a sw evostar 100ed I have ordered the t ring and adapter to mount to telescope but am I right that you would need a eyepiece projection adapter if you want to add eyepieces in this set up. It has the 2" focuser if that helps.

Mike

Are you wanting to try planetary imaging or DSO ?

If DSO you very rarely need the extra mag.

If planetary you would be much better off with a webcam ZWO 120 or the like to start with.

If you are going down the Baader Hyperion route, Baader do eyepiece projection

adapters that adapt to them.

Its not something i've tried myself though, and i don't know alot about it.

All the imaging i've tried is the prime focus method, when i want to take a quick

image of the moon or sun (with filter !) for example. Like during an eclipse.

The camera attaches to the t-ring and inserts in to the 2" eyepiece holder.

Its not the best way to image, but its easy and it works for that type of object.

see link for eyepiece projection

I'm not sure if anyone one here has tried eyepiece projection, hopefully you'll get some responses on that one........

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/opfa---eyepiece-projection-adapter--(-i---vii-).html

Woukd like to image DSO as this is my mates camera I'm just trying to order the right parts for when the scope arrives, I will invest later for my own ZWO. Just attaching the camera for    DSO imaging is OK then?  Using this camera and scope do you recommend anything else make it work to its potential? 

Thanks Mike

Thanks Bino, I was looking at getting the Baader  2" set of 4 off of flo, so these would fit to the t ring and no need for a projection adapter is that correct? 

Mike

Edited by Milzy

2 hours ago, Milzy said:

Woukd like to image DSO as this is my mates camera I'm just trying to order the right parts for when the scope arrives, I will invest later for my own ZWO. Just attaching the camera for    DSO imaging is OK then?  Using this camera and scope do you recommend anything else make it work to its potential? 

Thanks Mike

A dark sky.........!!  😉