• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The stars from home...

Derbyshire Dave

Nice shot. 

Doesn't look like there's much light pollution were you live. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, seven_legs said:

Nice shot. 

Doesn't look like there's much light pollution were you live. 

Hi Tony,

Thanks, and Happy New Year. We're quite lucky here, it's definitely better since hey replaced the sodium lights with leds last year..

• Like 1

The new LED lights seem to be more downwardly focused than the old LP sodium lights so they don't appear to produce quite as much skyglow as the old LP sodium lights, but they were much more easily filtered out than todays LED lights. You could still capture 98% of the visible spectrum using a sodium D line filter as opposed to the limited spectral range passed by the filters now designed to minimise the effects of LED lighting.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Clive said:

The new LED lights seem to be more downwardly focused than the old LP sodium lights so they don't appear to produce quite as much skyglow as the old LP sodium lights, but they were much more easily filtered out than todays LED lights. You could still capture 98% of the visible spectrum using a sodium D line filter as opposed to the limited spectral range passed by the filters now designed to minimise the effects of LED lighting.

Yeah, I agree with you totally. I have an led light in my street which can now be an issue, I have to be careful which direction I shoot in. It's predecessor sodium light could be filtered out directly.

But overall the sky is better, certainly much better for visual

Nice to see those familiar winter constellations.

Its not dissimilar to my view from home in Darley Abbey.....

.........only yours has three times as many stars ! 🤐

• Like 1

Very nice image.

I tried one other week with canon1100D , so much light pollution it came out almost as daylight orange/white. (iso100/ 10 secs).

Just can't really get much done from bortle 8.

Hopefully dark sites open up again soon