• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Some ideas for tricky times..

Derbyshire Dave

Hi guys,

It looks like we have a good few months of tricky times ahead, at the very least. Got me to thinking about whether EMS could do something a little different on the social front.

Here are some thoughts, and please chip in with other ideas .. just something to while away those cloudy nights..

1)Chesterfield Astronomical Society holds an astronomical quiz in the first week in January every year, it’s set by one of our members Jim, always has a mixture of easy, hard, and damned near impossible questions. This year we are going to run it on zoom. It’s next Friday, and I’ll let you know how it goes.

I was wondering if we could somehow run something similar. I know a lot of people aren’t keen on zoom, but maybe we could issue a post with the questions, allow everyone half an hour to send in their answers, and someone could mark them, and send out a score sheet with the winner?

Dunno .. just thinking as I go here. Very open to more practical ways to run this..

2)Clive recently mentioned a fact that he had a school photo which had been in a newspaper and that he might post it

What about a ‘spot the young stargazer’ competition. Obviously severely hampered by the fact that we all don’t know each other... and we wouldn’t want to post current pics..

But might be interesting anyway.

Maybe we could look in people’s faces for signs of obsession?

Anyone looking manically upward?

3)Zoom, zoom. We could actually have a zoom meeting one evening. Just a chance to turn up with a beer on one of those interminable cloudy nights, and have a quick chat?

Just throwing around ideas here .. ANY IDEAS ANYONE a little social light in the hard period to come.

WHADDAYATHINK???

Funny you should mention holding a quiz over zoom, I have been setting the quiz for the Derby & District Astronomical Society for a few years now and ours is next Friday on zoom too 🙂I'm not sure how it will pan out using zoom but it is usually a fun evening. I'd better get a move on as I've not finished setting all the questions in PowerPoint yet. Nothing like leaving until the last minute eh?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

Funny you should mention holding a quiz over zoom, I have been setting the quiz for the Derby & District Astronomical Society for a few years now and ours is next Friday on zoom too 🙂I'm not sure how it will pan out using zoom but it is usually a fun evening. I'd better get a move on as I've not finished setting all the questions in PowerPoint yet. Nothing like leaving until the last minute eh?

Well good luck Dave. I must say the one we run is great fun. Normally we have some party food as well, which obviously isn’t gonna happen. Perhaps I should get myself some sausage rolls!

Hope it goes well, next year we should be able to run these things face to face.

Happy New Dave, look forward to a time we can meet up at one of the dark sites