• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bird ID please

Whilst expediting my exercise ration today at Charnwood Water I came across this fellow.  Can anybody tell me what it is?  Probably his mate in the background.

large.Wassat.JPG.c9949fa82c11a9b60d9671ac4ea339bd.JPG

Derbyshire Dave

Hi Bryan,

It's a male mandarin duck. Lovely birds, they quite often like deep rivers , and secluded spots, so we see them on the river near Calver Mill

Derbyshire Dave

The other bird, facing away, is the female. They're lovely too, in  more subtle way. The chicks are gorgeous.

The other really interesting thing is that they nest in trees. I've watched them land high up in a tree. How do they do that wih webbed feet!

1 hour ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

The other really interesting thing is that they nest in trees. I've watched them land high up in a tree. How do they do that wih webbed feet!

I've had Mallards land on the ridge tiles of my house roof (after shooing them off my pond)

Derbyshire Dave
1 hour ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

The other bird, facing away, is the female. They're lovely too, in  more subtle way. The chicks are gorgeous.

I read that as 'SHOOTING' 😂