• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astrophotography with limited equipment

Lorraine Eason

Having invested in (and now awaiting) a Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO go-to mount for my 150mm refractor and also having to build a new PC, investment in a half decent DSLR will unfortunately be some time away for me 🙁  So I'm have to make do with what I've got, for the time being.  In terms of phones, I have an iPhone7 (used daily) and my old phone which is a Sony XA-1 (sitting in a drawer doing nothing).  What can I do with these...?  Which phone camera would be best, and what are the best apps to use...?  I also have a Lumix DMC-FZ28, though with it being a bridge camera I realise my options there are limited.

Thoughts? 🙂

I've never had any success trying to use a cellphone camera through a telescope eyepiece.  The alignment is very critical, with the likelihood that you will move the scope whilst fitting the camera and adapter to the eyepiece.

Not knowing much about the Lumix I don't know how easy it would be to use the filter thread on the lens to fit an adaptor for the scope.  It would be worth trying (in daylight) to hold the camera in position behind the eyepiece and see if it will come to focus.  Or remove the eyepiece altogether and hold the camera where the eyepiece was to see if it will focus.  If it won't focus in either case, the Lumix isn't going to work.

So daylight experimentation is your best next step.

Hi, have you looked on ABS for a second hand DSLR ? Its worth a go, just to see whats about and if its within your budget.

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

You have picked a very good mount, and i'm looking looking forward to hearing how you get on with it ?

Have you used 'the yard cannon' in anger yet ? Thats what the CR-150HD is affectionally known by over in the US.

3 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Hi, have you looked on ABS for a second hand DSLR ? Its worth a go, just to see whats about and if its within your budget.

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

You have picked a very good mount, and i'm looking looking forward to hearing how you get on with it ?

Have you used 'the yard cannon' in anger yet ? Thats what the CR-150HD is affectionally known by over in the US.

Yard cannon...😂

Did use it briefly when I first got it, many moons ago. Managed to get part way through the Jovian Marathon,  got super excited when the Red Spot came into view and rushed in to tell my partner who didn't seem that interested.  Left me a bit deflated.  I do seem to remember that I had a similar problem that night with clarity of the image as I did with my little Skylux last week, both were super cold nights with poor seeing conditions; so at least for now, I'm assuming that at least in part that's my problem.  But we shall find out!  Never attempted any deep sky observing with it, hoping for some good results 🙂

I'll have a look at the website, thanks 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lorraine Eason said:

... got super excited when the Red Spot came into view and rushed in to tell my partner who didn't seem that interested.  Left me a bit deflated ...

Probably most of us have been there ... 😊

• 4 weeks later...

Or my wife’s classic “ you have photographed the Moon & Mars- what else is left to do?” 

BTW the Sv305 is a pretty nice not to costly dedicated camera. Actually as cheap as chips.  I use one for planetary, but it can do some bright nebulas. 

😀

• 1 month later...

I've often wondered what I could do with a bridge camera. I used a compact digital camera for years and like to think I did a half decent job. I think it could work directly on the Moon at a high zoom level. I would try it and see if I was you. I also took some reasonable shots by sticking a digital camera at a tyelescope eyepiece. I would also download GIMP, as it is free.

I now use a DSLR. I have a Bresser Electronic Eyepiece for lunar and planetary close-ups that has stopped working.

You might find my blog (accessible via my website in my footer) useful as I am financially challenged, too.

Edited by Sunny Phil
Missing info