• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Servicing EQ2

Streetbob

While sorting out my shed, again, I came across my old EQ2 mount.  It seemed to be very stiff in both axis so I decided there was nothing to lose by stripping it down.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ago300v2yv0u47n/IMG_0463.JPG?raw=1

This was it after it had been cleaned up.  I had heard that the grease used by Skywatcher was bad stuff but I wasn't prepared for the sticky goo that once touched was impossible to get off fingers and so proceeded to get everywhere.  After many cleanings I finally managed to remove the alien life form.  

I have new teflon washers to use as bushes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/druv2yq1f3akzia/IMG_0464.JPG?raw=1

Now I hope I can remember how it all goes back together.

Excellent. The old 50s + 60s sci-fi movies were always the best.

A young Steve McQueen there.

My favourite classics from that era ?   The Time Machine (1960) + The Day The Earth Stood Still (1956)

Doug : i myself had a bad experience with this nasty grease stuff once.

I was changing a C8 focuser for a Feather-touch a few years ago and was attacked by grease.

How i managed to get some on the corrector plate i'll never know, but i did.

Badder Optical Wonder saved the day thankfully. (The SCT has since been honourably discharged)

• Like 2

Who’d have thought my post about an old eq2 would have you reminiscing about classic sci fi movies 😆 As an aside I did get it back together and working a lot better. Not sure what to do with it now though.

4 minutes ago, Streetbob said:

Who’d have thought my post about an old eq2 would have you reminiscing about classic sci fi movies 😆 As an aside I did get it back together and working a lot better. Not sure what to do with it now though.

I have a couple of old EQ2's, although when I say old I mean around six years old. I'm pretty sure mine will end up in a skip. If I can remember where I actually put them lol.

"This island Earth" was THE sci fi film for me as a kid.

Just in case anyone wants to bling their eq2, I have an RA drive for one which is sitting in my astro box doing nothing. 

• Like 1