• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Simeis 147 in Ha & HaRGB

The spaghetti neb.

Very hard to image as it is extremely faint 

That is a great image Kev.

Well done. 

Very nice Kev, great to see what can be done with the Olympus Pen.

One question, your bright stars appear to be behaving themselves nicely with the Takumar. I have tried many different vintage lenses with astro and they range from downright awful on brighter stars to almost passable, have you had to do much processing with the Takumar? I ask because I am struggling with a Tair 3 f4 telephoto which is awful at F4 but imaging at f8 is defeating the object of telephoto shooting a little.

I have a few Pentax SMC lenses, (non Takumar) perhaps I should be trying those instead, hmmmm

5 hours ago, philjay said:

Very nice Kev, great to see what can be done with the Olympus Pen.

One question, your bright stars appear to be behaving themselves nicely with the Takumar. I have tried many different vintage lenses with astro and they range from downright awful on brighter stars to almost passable, have you had to do much processing with the Takumar? I ask because I am struggling with a Tair 3 f4 telephoto which is awful at F4 but imaging at f8 is defeating the object of telephoto shooting a little.

I have a few Pentax SMC lenses, (non Takumar) perhaps I should be trying those instead, hmmmm

Thanks Phil,

Under normal circumstances, I find the best tradeoff (light gathering vs. star shapes) for this particular Tak of mine is actually around F/5.6. Sadly, that would have been way too slow to make any meaningful progress with this target - it's just way too dim. So, i chose to shoot wide open and deal with the consequenses in post. 

FWIW, the RGB was actually imaged at F/5.6, but that didn't require anywhere close to the amount of data as the Ha.

Shame about your Tair as I hear they made some cracking lenses.

Of my vintage lenses, the only one I can shoot astro at F/4 with good stars is my 55mm F/1.8 Super Takumar (yes, the radioactive one).

The good thing with shooting NB with these old lenses is that CA largely becomes a non-issue. There's just the corner star shapes to think about.

Cheers,

Kev

Aha, of course, shooting narrow band is the way to counter ca of the lens, thanks Kev. Cos I,m osc all round here and rarely do nb I forget.

The Pen certainly accounts for itself well, I must try my Om d em1 on dso sometime.

• 2 weeks later...