• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

21st January 2021

philjay

What puzzles me is my new location is only 12 miles away from my old location so normally this wouldnt make a blind bit of difference, which makes me think I,ve accidentally corrupted the original co ordinates somehow.

Edited by philjay

2 minutes ago, philjay said:

What puzzles me is my new location is only 12 miles away from my old location so normally this wouldnt make a blind bit of difference, which makes me think I,ve accidentally corrupted the original co ordinates somehow.

It was aliens.

Good to hear you've sorted it out. Nice report.

These mounts can have a mind of their own.......

On 23/01/2021 at 15:52, philjay said:

I then did a few doubles, Almaak is always a favourite of mine once Albireo has moved on, the colours of the two main companions are worth a look.

Then as the clouds started to encroach I quickly shot through the doubles that were in view on the handset database.

Don't forget the Winter Albireo (145 G Canis Majoris).

https://rogerivester.com/2017/02/08/winter-albireo-h-3945-double-star-in-canis-major-february-observers-challenge-object/

I got out on the 21st as well.

tnOcF4km.jpg

With my ST80 and AZ5. I wasn't sure about the weather and decided to fit everything into these bags, which I can carry in one journey.

o7LuPfRm.jpg

I had a good two hours. I haven't used the ST80 for years. Naturally I started with the Moon. Rupes Recta was very dramatic on the terminator, more chiaroscuro than I expected. The Lumicon #8/UCF1 stack gave a very natural view although the ST80 doesn't really suffer from a great deal of CA. The #8 did leave a yellow hint in the occasional crater lip or wall but the UCF also helped with the glare as the Moon was quite bright. I tend to prefer this stack than the Baader FK/Neodymium stack as it gives a slightly more natural image. I wasn't sure how much time I'd have so I left the modified William Optics Amici in for a while and saw Mars and Uranus at 160x. There were no problems with the diffraction spike. I'd replaced the helical focuser with a standard GSO drawtube. It did actually briefly rain on me, although it was very light. I could see Martian surface features, just about with the 2.5mm TMB 'Mavis Laven' clone and a Celestron Mars Filter.

a8qo7gjm.jpg

The phase was apparent. I think I could even see the southern polar cap, it might have been high altitude clouds though. There were what looked like high altitude clouds in the north. Uranus did resolve into a tiny disc. Eventually as the clouds cleared more I swapped the Amici for the 2" Synta dielectric and the 31mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric. Even with the bright Moon I got some fantastic views at 12.9x. Highlights were the Alpha Persei (Moving Group) Cluster, Double Cluster, Owl Cluster, M103 and the Pleiades. As Orion got higher I viewed the Serpent Cluster and the Orion Nebula. I went back to Mars and Uranus with the dielectric, there was a bit of scatter with Mars, although that's normal for dielectrics. Eventually I ended with the 7mm TMB 'Mavis' (first light) for 57x and got a great view of the Double Cluster and M42.

mao6D9Sm.jpg

I forgot what great fun the ST80's were.

Edited by Nightspore
  • Like 2