• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi, I’m new! 😊

alis80b

Hi,

This site was recommended to me after I posted my first photo of the moon on a local community Facebook page today.

I am completely new to the hobby and am really interested in astrophotography.

I bought my first telescope and a new camera 2 weeks ago and it has taken me till now to work out how to put it together... and I still can’t do it all! I’ve been watching YouTube videos and am having a Zoom lesson to help.
It’s definitely a lot more complicated than I thought (especially with no instructions). I still need to align the mount and set it up.

I bought:

a Sky Watcher 80ED (with reducer/flattener)

a HEQ5 mount

a Tele vue powermate x5

a smartphone adapter

a celestron power tank

and a Canon Ra

I was assured by the shop that this was enough to get started. 

I literally set up what I could last night and dragged it all outside to take my first picture of the moon! I was pretty impressed! 😍

I’m pleased to have found this site. It looks really helpful.

😊🔭

Hi Alison, a warm welcome to the forum, glad you made your way over. Blimey, straight in both feet then, that's a lot of new kit to get used to off the bat with no real experience.  More so the picture of the moon you took, that was excellent, if that's one of your first images you have right to be proud of it.

Have a mooch round, make yourself at home and feel free to ask any questions you have.

Enjoy your stay.

Hi Alison, welcome aboard. I'm just a visual monkey so can't be of much help, but there are pplanty of imagers on here who are only to willing to help. Have a look around and ask any questions you may have, someone will shout.

Morning Alison,

Welcome. You'll find us a friendly and helpful bunch. I t would be useful to let us know where you are, there will probably be other members in you vicinity.

As well as the online forum, when restrictions ease we have dark sky sites near Belper in Derbyshire, and Wymeswold in Leicestershire where we hold observing and imaging sessions. We also have meets away at (hopefully) dark sky areas. The traditional one is Kelling Heath in Norfolk in September/October. Additionally we had one in Exmoor the autumn before last.

So welcome again, look forward to seeing some more post..

Hello Alison. Another fan of the 80ED here. I'm strictly visual but the 80ED is a very versatile and portable scope (mine has an aftermarket focuser).

spacer.png

It might be only 80mm but it never fails to impress me. Last year I had a good 240x on Mars with mine. 

14 hours ago, BAZ said:

Hi Alison, a warm welcome to the forum, glad you made your way over. Blimey, straight in both feet then, that's a lot of new kit to get used to off the bat with no real experience.  More so the picture of the moon you took, that was excellent, if that's one of your first images you have right to be proud of it.

Have a mooch round, make yourself at home and feel free to ask any questions you have.

Enjoy your stay.

Hi,

Thanks for recommending it. it's just what I was looking for. 

Yeah, I feel like I'm one of those 'All the gear, no idea' kind of people' 😂 I just thought I'd go all in as I'm really keen to get into this hobby and didn't want to start with rubbish equipment that would either put me off or need changing in a few months time.

I'm not normally into putting myself (or my photos) out there and I'm always super critical of anything I do.  My Mum said I should post the photo on that Facebook page and I'm pleased I did as it's led me to this group! 😊

13 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Hi Alison, welcome aboard. I'm just a visual monkey so can't be of much help, but there are pplanty of imagers on here who are only to willing to help. Have a look around and ask any questions you may have, someone will shout.

Thanks! It's quite funny to think that I haven't even looked through my telescope yet! 😂 I literally screwed my camera on the back and took it outside for the first time on Monday night. Hopefully the weather will perk up a bit and the skies will clear, I want to get back out there! 

13 hours ago, RonC said:

Hi Alison and welcome to the forum, I'm also an ED80 user along with other stuff!

Ahh great! I'm pleased I found this site. It's going to be really helpful! I nearly gave up when the telescope didn't come with any instructions!!!! I've sorted some of it out now and managed to fit the reducer and my camera to the back. It's a very big learning curve I'm sure.

10 hours ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Morning Alison,

Welcome. You'll find us a friendly and helpful bunch. I t would be useful to let us know where you are, there will probably be other members in you vicinity.

As well as the online forum, when restrictions ease we have dark sky sites near Belper in Derbyshire, and Wymeswold in Leicestershire where we hold observing and imaging sessions. We also have meets away at (hopefully) dark sky areas. The traditional one is Kelling Heath in Norfolk in September/October. Additionally we had one in Exmoor the autumn before last.

So welcome again, look forward to seeing some more post..

Hi,

Thanks. I've just updated my profile to put my location on. I'm in Long Eaton so between Nottingham and Derby. 

That sounds great! I would love to get out to some dark sky sites. It's not too good where I live although I have a pretty good view of the sky at the back of my house.

Fingers crossed it won't be too much longer before we can get out and about again! 

1 minute ago, alis80b said:

Ahh great! I'm pleased I found this site. It's going to be really helpful! I nearly gave up when the telescope didn't come with any instructions!!!! I've sorted some of it out now and managed to fit the reducer and my camera to the back. It's a very big learning curve I'm sure.

I know the feeling Alison, when I took my first telescope out I thought it was broken 🙂 Once you get used to it you'll have ball.

10 hours ago, Nightspore said:

Hello Alison. Another fan of the 80ED here. I'm strictly visual but the 80ED is a very versatile and portable scope (mine has an aftermarket focuser).

spacer.png

It might be only 80mm but it never fails to impress me. Last year I had a good 240x on Mars with mine. 

Ahh that's good to know! I literally had no clue and got advice from YouTube video reviews and the shop I bought it from 😊

8 hours ago, Clive said:

Welcome Alison, have posted your image on this site?

Thanks. No, I'm not sure how to do that yet. I'll have a look to see if I can work it out... but maybe should wait until I've had a bit more practise. 🤦🏼‍♀️

I'm not even sure what makes a good/bad astro image which is why it's good to find a site like this!

I was pleased with the amount of detail that came out in the photo, especially after I cropped it a lot! 

6 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Hi, welcome to EMS Alison 😀🔭☁️🙄

Thanks 😊