• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First photo with my new telescope/camera - constructive criticism/advice please

alis80b

That's impressive, I bet your pleased with that!

Can I suggest so as to get more 'comments' that you add the number of exposures and settings etc?

Not much chance of more clear sky's for a while judging by the weather!!

Ron

Thats a belter Alison, well done.

It,s very satisying this imaging isnt it? The only downside is it is very addictive and can be a money pit if one gets truly hooked. 

Youve got focus nailed in that image and good exposure, its all too easy to blow out the bright areas. Well done

3 hours ago, RonC said:

That's impressive, I bet your pleased with that!

Can I suggest so as to get more 'comments' that you add the number of exposures and settings etc?

Not much chance of more clear sky's for a while judging by the weather!!

Ron

Thanks. Does it show the information/settings under the photo on Flickr? I’m not sure if only I can see it.

it was.. 

1shot

iso 100

1/250 shutter speed

i just had the camera in manual but couldn’t adjust the aperture. I’m assuming this is the case when a telescope is attached?

3 hours ago, philjay said:

Thats a belter Alison, well done.

It,s very satisying this imaging isnt it? The only downside is it is very addictive and can be a money pit if one gets truly hooked. 

Youve got focus nailed in that image and good exposure, its all too easy to blow out the bright areas. Well done

Thanks. 

I know I’m only just starting but I love it already! I’m desperate to get out again and have another go. 
I’ve realised that, My credit card has had a bit of a battering over the past 2 weeks!! 😂

For a first shot you have the right to be proud of that, you set the bar high with that one.  I guess you are picking up the vibe that it's a itch that needs constant scratching, but rewarding all the same.  I am looking forward to your future adventures.

Agree with all of the comments above, it’s a cracker of a shot, and , alas, I suspect you are already hooked.

23 hours ago, alis80b said:

Thanks. Does it show the information/settings under the photo on Flickr? I’m not sure if only I can see it.

it was.. 

1shot

iso 100

1/250 shutter speed

i just had the camera in manual but couldn’t adjust the aperture. I’m assuming this is the case when a telescope is attached?

Hi Alison

Rons comment re number of exposures may be new to you if your just starting out.

Taking a single shot like this is great, however it can be a bit hit and miss due to atmospherics. If the atmosphere suddenly swirls as you press the shutter this can cause a loss of sharpness and detail.

To counter this one can take loads of shots, then the chances of getting a fuzzy shot are reduced.

But then you can get clever.

Using a programme such as Registax 6 (free on web) also other stacking software is available 😀 you can process all your subs in the software and it will stack the good sub exposures and produce an image which has much less noise and much more data than a single image. These stacked images will stand processing, brightness, contrast, sharpening etc much better than a single image because there is more data in the image.

Loads of very nice detail in that shot, well focussed and sharp with an interesting terminator. Excellent first shot - congratulations! 🙂

Tip - follow philjays advice above re: stacking and Registax - he's a brilliant imager.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, philjay said:

Hi Alison

Rons comment re number of exposures may be new to you if your just starting out.

Taking a single shot like this is great, however it can be a bit hit and miss due to atmospherics. If the atmosphere suddenly swirls as you press the shutter this can cause a loss of sharpness and detail.

To counter this one can take loads of shots, then the chances of getting a fuzzy shot are reduced.

But then you can get clever.

Using a programme such as Registax 6 (free on web) also other stacking software is available 😀 you can process all your subs in the software and it will stack the good sub exposures and produce an image which has much less noise and much more data than a single image. These stacked images will stand processing, brightness, contrast, sharpening etc much better than a single image because there is more data in the image.

Hi, Thank you so much for your reply and and advice.

Yes, everything is new to me at the moment 😫

Ahh, I had read about stacking images when doing deep sky imaging and I downloaded DSS onto my computer (although I haven't got that far yet to even look at it). I didn't realise the same thing applied to photos of the moon. I understand the concept so will give it a go next time. I am sure there are plenty of YouTube tutorials. It's what I'm learning everything from at the moment 😂

Thanks again 😊

2 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Loads of very nice detail in that shot, well focussed and sharp with an interesting terminator. Excellent first shot - congratulations! 🙂

Tip - follow philjays advice above re: stacking and Registax - he's a brilliant imager.

Thank you. I'm going to look into stacking, definitely 😊

No worries Alison

Ive not stacked in DSS for donkeys years and never stacked lunar or planetary in it so cannot give advice there but Registax I can so fire away.

Then when you get the hang of it we can talk about PIPP and Autostackert 😀

8 hours ago, alis80b said:

Thank you. I'm going to look into stacking, definitely 😊

It's much better than my first shot by a country mile.

Knowing about DSLRs is a great start and is probably easier than being an astronomer who is a novice photographer.

Your choice of equipment is very good. When you get some clear weather, have ago at the Orion Great Nebula (Messier 42), Pleaides aka Seven Sisters (Messier 45) and Beehive (Messier 44). Although Mars is in the evening sky it is too far away. So is Venus. Jupiter and Saturn are close to the Sun, so it is a bad time for planets.