• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Telescope advice needed

Neo_uk

Hi all ...

I'm thinking of treating myself to a new scope for deep sky imaging and not entirely sure what to go for ...at the moment I'm using a skywatcher ed80 Pro (gold tube) sxvr-h694 and filter wheel with the 0.8 reducer ...I also have a wo zs66 ...

I have spied a borg 77edII on astro buy/sell anyone had any experience with these ? Or have any suggestions ?.

Many thanks Chris.

Depends on your budget what are you thinking of spending, focal length, what mount you will use it in .

I'm thinking of something I can get down to about f4 with a focal reducer/flattener...

Mounts I have a heq5 and eq6 Pro.

I have a 10" meade lx200 for lunar and planetary ...so looking for something for dso....

Budget depends on the scope ...£500 -£1000.

I've also seen a ts photo90.

The Borgs are good scopes, I pushed the button on one a few years back for exactly the same reason as you, wanting a faster scope, it fell through so I ended up with a WO FLT92 which was nice.

The Borgs are an optical system and one builds a scope round the objective with all adapters, focusers etc in the range, therefore check just how it is configured because you may need to purchase different bits to make it exactly what you require.

The Borg web site has a handy system map so you can see exactly what is needed to build your perfect scope.

Also bear in mind the shortages of stuff at the moment. If you do need a bit to tweak it to what you want, are they available.

Thanks for the heads up ..

I've been looking at a few alternatives...

Redcat 51

Ts photo80 with reducer

Takahashi fs60cb

What was the flt92 like ? ..I've always liked the williams optics scopes.

12 hours ago, Neo_uk said:

Thanks for the heads up ..

I've been looking at a few alternatives...

Redcat 51

Ts photo80 with reducer

Takahashi fs60cb

What was the flt92 like ? ..I've always liked the williams optics scopes.

The Flt was a lovely scope but it had the Starlight focuser on it, I wouldnt have had the standard crayford of the time. On its own for visual it was stonking but for imaging I had to get a flattener/reducer to tame the curvature. Then it was a bosting imager but flippin heavy, which wasnt a problem with the mount I had.

I,ve not had a WO for a few years so dont know what tge new models are like but the older ones always frustrated me. The optics were excellent, but their engineering was hit and miss I found, so I always ended up changing or fixing bits. I reiterate, this was some years ago on their earlier scopes.

Edited by philjay

• 2 weeks later...

Right I think I've settled on the wo gt81 and matching flattener...not sure how much difference there will be from my skywatcher ed 80 ...but the gt81 is a triplet where as the skywatcher is a doublet ...

Also if I push the button on the wo ..the skywatcher will be surplus to requirements so will go up for grabs ..but not sure how much to advertise It for ? ... its the gold tube version with aluminium case,finder,diagonal and eye pieces also have the .8 flattener for it ...optics are great but tube does have a few marks from tube rings and focus knob rubbers perished so are missing ...