• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Greetings from Northamptonshire

Greenman

Hi all,

I was told of the Stargazers by @Sunny Phil who recommended the club to me.  I restarted my interest in astronomy in 2014, and around two years ago I connected my DSLR to my Celestron SE6 and was hooked immediately. I added a Starwave 80ED to the SE around six months ago and I have very recently added a ZWO ASI 533 MC Pro to my collection.

Visually I did a lot of stargazing from 1969 until I meet my future wife in 1973. It was she that bought me my first scope of my restarted hobby, back in 2014 (a Celestron 130 MD). Having moved from the suburbs of Oxford Into the bottle 4 skies of a village just off J16 of the M1, my interest rekindled by the clearer skies.

Phil suggest the Stargazers when I mentioned in another forum that I had an interest in putting on star parties in my village.

Good to meet you all.

Tony.

Hi Tony, a warm welcome to the forum. Putting on a star party is no mean feat. You don't know whether you are going to be absolutely swamped or four people turn up, very rare you get the numbers you predict. It might be worth looking into whether or not you need public liability insurance, it depends on what your local council might advise.

Enjoy your stay.

Hey all,

Thanks  for the welcome; I am musing on the Star party idea. I have done some early groundwork in my Village. I started by posting in my local Village FB group under the subject ‘Astronomy on the Green’. I happen to live in a Cottage on the edge of one of the largest Greens in England. There was more enthusiasm than I anticipated, this lead to publishing a guide to February’s skies in the Village Newspaper.

Phil gave me some pointers, and potential pitfalls, liability insurance sounds very sensible. I won’t do anything before I retire in July - even then it is COVID-19 reliant. So I’m testing the waters.

Clear skies all (as unlikely as it seems).

Greetings Tony.

I must confess, i had to look where  Nether Heyford was on the map.

It looks like you have decent skys there  if its a Bortle 4 area. 

A mile better than my Bortle 7 anyway 😩 I'm not jealous at all......

Enjoy the forum 🙂

34 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Greetings Tony.

I must confess, i had to look where  Nether Heyford was on the map.

It looks like you have decent skys there  if its a Bortle 4 area. 

A mile better than my Bortle 7 anyway 😩 I'm not jealous at all......

Enjoy the forum 🙂

Hi, yes I am lucky considering when I moved here it was not a factor in the move, just luck of the draw. Most people confuse our Village with the Heyford’s in Oxfordshire.

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

Hi Tony a warm welcome to the EMS

Hi Stephen good to meet you.

On 04/02/2021 at 18:52, Neo_uk said:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Hi Neo many thanks, good to meet you.

Hello and welcome to the forum.  We did something similar a number of years ago, no idea how many would turn up, expected 30/40 and about 300 turned up, it was rammed. 

Hi Daz, good to meet you, I will only be publicising this in my immediate Village so I’m hoping it will be more controllable. I won’t be able to schedule anything until I retire in July, and of course the lockdown is over.