• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

How do all

NW_Expat

Hi All,

Been taking an interest in Astronomy over the last 5-6 months and finally plunged into buying a Bino setup:

- Celestron Skymaster 25x100 Binoculars

- Celestron pro-finder scope

- Manfrotto XPRO fluid video head

- Calumet 7800 Geared Tripod

- Celestron Nex YZ universal smartphone adapter, in the hope of catching some photos in the future, once I know what I am doing 🙂

Took them out for the first night last night. Saw lots of stars, but didn't spend too much time locating objects. Utilised the hour or so of cloud free skies to get used to using all the equipment. Current forecast is clear skies for a couple of hours or so from 7pm tonight, so hope to jump in the car to a less light polluted area and spend some time searching for some good stuff 🙂

In the meantime I will continue to read up and learn on how to get the best out of exploring the night skies !

Hi and welcome to the EMS.

i think you are doing the right thing by enjoying and exploring the night sky with binoculars.

if you haven’t got it I would recommend a book called Turn left at Orion. It’s more focus for telescope users but still a book that should be in any astronomers collection.

anyway nice to meet you😊

Hi welcome aboard. Have a good look around and if you have any questions just shout up, someone will have an answer for you.

Welcome.

Youve chosen the best way to get into Astronomy IMHO. Binos, especially the 100mm size are a great way of finding your way around the sky.

A good Star Atlas and a guide book are recommended, e.g. Sky and Telescope Star Atlas and Turn Left at Orion. These will give you an idea of what to look for and where to find them.

In my old age I am starting to go back to binos, I have a pair of 10x42 Nikons for handheld and the big gun is a binoscope I made from a pair of ED80 telescopes which get me down to some serious magnifications for binos.

Edited by tuckstar
Removed copy info as copied post hidden.

7 hours ago, NW_Expat said:

Hi All,

Been taking an interest in Astronomy over the last 5-6 months and finally plunged into buying a Bino setup:

- Celestron Skymaster 25x100 Binoculars

- Celestron pro-finder scope

- Manfrotto XPRO fluid video head

- Calumet 7800 Geared Tripod

- Celestron Nex YZ universal smartphone adapter, in the hope of catching some photos in the future, once I know what I am doing 🙂

Took them out for the first night last night. Saw lots of stars, but didn't spend too much time locating objects. Utilised the hour or so of cloud free skies to get used to using all the equipment. Current forecast is clear skies for a couple of hours or so from 7pm tonight, so hope to jump in the car to a less light polluted area and spend some time searching for some good stuff 🙂

In the meantime I will continue to read up and learn on how to get the best out of exploring the night skies !

Welcome to EMS.

Hi, a warm welcome to the group. Those binoculars should keep you happy for a good while, there are a good selection of objects to see with those. The trick is getting to learn your way round the sky and finding them, as mentioned a decent star atlas or a planetarium app such as Stellarium will help. Make yourself at home and let us know how you get on.