• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Nikon d3400

JohnM

Hello fellow stargazers

I'm completely new to astronomy and just purchased my first pair of binos, I have a nikon d3400. Does anybody know if I can mount this camera to my celestron skymaster 25x70 binos.

Many thanks in advance 

I am not an imager, but I think you would struggle to a) mount the camera to the binoculars and b) I don't think the quality of the optical train within the binoculars would do you any favours. I suspect you would be better off putting the money towards a half decent dedicated lense to suit the camera, which would give better quality images. The other part of your problem is a mount. Unless you are doing very short exposures, you will get trailing from the rotation of the earth. Then you start getting into good driven mounts and then your wallet might start getting abused as you get further into serious imaging. Have a look round the forum, ChrisP has a youtube channel which has a bit on driven mounts.

Of course, should you want to slip down the slope into serious imaging, the good folks on here will help you spend you money but you will get good advice along the way. Hope that helps.

Good point Martyn.

Missed the bit about fitting to binos read up to Sky master and assumed it was going on a scope.

I have taken images through my 15x70 bins using a hand-held compact digital camera and it's been OK. You could hand-hold the DSLR for short exposures but some sort of attachment won't work, as the camera is heavy compared to the binoculars.

If you get a 75-300mm zoom lens than you will get similar photos to what you can see in your bins. I've photographed the Moon at 55mm focal length but it is very hard. Most of my attempts failed dismally.

Driven mounts will improve your images but I find plenty to photograph without using one.