• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Space junk

The consideration to keep in mind is called space junk, we got quite some trash up there in orbit of our planet. It's considered not to be a problem due that the size of the object would burn in our atmosphere. But what do we need do about the space junk? And is there a possibility that space junk might be dangerous for Earth and its` population?

Many, too, many years ago I was a member of the British Interplanetary Society, late 60,s to early 70,s, and the monthly mag had records of what was up there right down to bits dropped by Gemini during spacewalks. I wonder if they still do it? 🙂

21 hours ago, bearnard88 said:

The consideration to keep in mind is called space junk, we got quite some trash up there in orbit of our planet. It's considered not to be a problem due that the size of the object would burn in our atmosphere. But what do we need do about the space junk? And is there a possibility that space junk might be dangerous for Earth and its` population?

hi

whats your interest in this area re space junk. What do you class as space junk?

sheila

21 hours ago, philjay said:

Many, too, many years ago I was a member of the British Interplanetary Society, late 60,s to early 70,s, and the monthly mag had records of what was up there right down to bits dropped by Gemini during spacewalks. I wonder if they still do it? 🙂

I think that yes, they still do it to avoid collisions with that space junk. The big number of space junk can damage expensive spacecrafts The growing number of space items can lead to the state where he object density is so high that one collision is enough to generate a cascade effect, leading to further collisions.