• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hexy 635 binoscope update= pivot bearing mounts now blue

Guest black eyed hexy

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi guys ,

I,ve painted the tube pivot bearings in martian skies blue and used marine grade stainless steel bolts , so I,m now ready to replace the tubes back in--

soon twill be complete at last.

There will be a band of gold around two black fingers

Looking fantastic! Can't wait to see the finished item and maybe get a chance to have a glimpse through these awesome looking, massive bins! Oh the wide field views must be amazing!

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi catman ,

You,re not the only one getting itchy to see through these twins ! ---I,ve got a twelve inch mono scope and I,m aware of the field of view in this mirror, I,ve also viewed through a 16 inch bino when in america at a friends place ( he had JMI,s sixteen inch version ), and the field of view in those --- "OMG" felix !!!!!! I was holding a can of beer at the time but it never got drunk ---- that was such an awesome experience for me-- I said there and then " I just gotta have one of them " yep whatever it takes --I did enquire while there how much it would cost to get a 16 JMI bino back to england $14,500----I can tell you , I very nearly went that route but my friend knowing how practical I was challenged me to make a bigger one --for a laugh--well I came back and gave birth to Hexy so I,m definitely laughing now and my friend has gone a little more serious after seeing pics recently- he ,s really surprised I,m attempting a 25 inch--when I told him the budget is around £1500 I had him begging to make and send one over the pond --well that might happen if my new kiln churns out some decent blanks , we,ll have to wait and see bout that one, It would cost around £4,500 for someone to make each 25 inch mirror,so if my mirror attempt goes too far off the doable scale I,ll get someone to make them it,s no problem for me .

You,re quite welcome to come over and see the build so far Felix-no probs as the mirror make will take some three months -am a couple of months behind schedule now .

Take care my friend ----------wide view dan

Thanks Dan, that would be great. Am off to Sicily tonight for second leg I honeymoon. Have been in Cornwall all week. I snuck the 15x70 bins into the car and setup on one evening when mrs hay went to sleep! Managed to bag a new messier object M56! The skies are gorgeous in Cornwall.

Sounds like you have been very lucky to have experienced such large bino views. I can't even begin to think what the 25's will be like!!

Anyway I best get packing!!