• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M31 and friends taken at Belper.

Perkil8r

Ok, so this is a very quick stack and process of M31 from last night 27th July or should I say early hours of this morning!

Took 67 subs @ 60secs, 800 ISO with Canon 350d modded mounted on st80 with EQ5 no guiding, just RA drive and close polar align, not perfect though. Out of 67 subs scrapped just 10 due to star trails and satelites :D

Stacked with 32 darks of the same (when dew eventually made lights impossible) and 20 flats taken this morning using the laptop screen. Stacked in DSS very quick process in PS5cs

I'm happy so far, but I know somebody more skilled than I or even maybe me myself can do better given more time on it.

Enough of the waffle, here it is at about 30 or 35% original size.

If it weren't for dew I think I could've got almost double the data. Now I really need to learn how to process, I'm sure there is a lot in there somewhere, and I know I can lose some more subs yet, I just got rid of the worst ones.

Fabulous shot Mike - you've progressed so far so quickly since getting the 350D - very impressive :)

It is a very good image and does not look hurried at all. Good job

That is beautiful Mike! Well done-is that 110 next to it too?

I believe it's M31, 32 and 110.

I stretched it a few times a little at a time, but curves etc were quite harsh. I have a feeling there is a lot more on offer in there if I can learn how to get it out is another matter.

Mike how the hell did you manage that.

Did you use the modded 350 d and the 200 newt?

Any filters??

It is brilliant.

Ok Mike so forget the last questions I should learn to read properly.

That with an 80mm frac !!!

I am going to get the screwdrivers out and mod my 350 if it makes that much difference.

Dan, no worries, it never showed at all on any of the subs, maybe because I paused them ;) Nice to chat again.

Graham, it's the tiny st80 not the 200p, and the 350d which is modded. No filters and very rough processing. I really hope to do this justice over the next few days/weeks.

Thanks all for the kind words, I am very pleased so far.

Looking at the subs again with having had a bit more sleep, I think I can bin a few more which might help with the stack a bit. There are still around 10 or 15 that have some signs of star trailing on them. I think I will stack just the very best, do a quick process to see if there is any improvement before I start getting too far involved with processing properly.

Overall though, for saying I was way outside of my comfort zone by being in a field rather than at home where I have a nice solid flat carefully polar aligned set up, I am very happy indeed. I think a dark site is worth a good few £'s worth of equipment that would be needed from a not so dark site if you follow what I mean.

Thanks for all the coments. Now to go play with some subs.

Right, I've binned some more, so now best 80% of 43 subs, 60secs @ ISO800 350D on St80. I know I have overdone the processing in places, but just wanted to see if using less "not great" subs helped overall with the clarity. Have a look and you tell me.....

Absolutely fantastic Mike, they are superb!!!!

I would be well chuffed with them!

Looking very good Mike

M31 & M42 are a pain to process as they have a large range of brightness and contrast and you have done a good job on 31