• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sky’s the Limit 15mm 2” 80deg Eyepiece

Graham Fletcher

Hi guys

Does anyone know ,or has anyone used the Sky’s the Limit 15mm 2” 80deg eyepiece on an f4.8 Newtonian?

I have the opportunity of buying a secondhand one and would appreciate any views on this eyepiece.

cheers

Graham

The fastest Newtonian I own now is f/6. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2inch-F15mm-Ultra-Wide-Angle-80-Degree-Astro-Telescope-Eyepiece-FMC-Lens/203142889748?hash=item2f4c428114:g:5U0AAOSws8ZXHYta

I don't know the make of the EP you want to buy. In my experience certain wide angle eyepieces can glare badly in fast reflectors (I'm talking about you Celestron Luminos!).

If you are after something wide angle in that focal length Graham 

that will perform well with a fast Nerwtonian, without the Tele-vue type price tag,

have a look at the ES 82º (Explore Scientific) or the Baader Morpheus 76º ranges.

Both of these are well regarded are more suitably priced.

Sky's the Limit were the original importer of BST Starguider eyepieces. The name of these I think has changed to something else, but I owned a number of these and they were very good value for money. If it's at the right money then it might well be worth a punt on it.

I didn't think there were many 15mm 2" EP's anyway. If my understanding is correct it's only at around 17~19mm (and longer) that 2" eyepieces can efficiently use the available light.

k0ucWKml.jpg

No Graham, mine were all 1.25". I use up to a 2" 38mm Skywatcher Panaview in my Dob and that's at the limit, but gives a huge bit of sky to look at. I mostly use a 2"26mm Panaview as this is just ideal for fuzzy hunting for me.