• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The moon 24/03/21

alis80b

Nice photo, can't help you with processing, but I can tell you that its always clear on a full moon night.

Edited by tuckstar

Nice, clear and lots of detail! Think you've done a great job there..

It's always clearest at a full Moon, it's an astro law!  😄

........Unless there's a Lunar Eclipse of course, then its bound to be cloudy !!

Nice image Alison. Bags of detail there.🙂

• Like 2

nice image Alison and yes, like you, I am beginning to get fed up with a bright moon every night I'm free to observe.

What aperture and focal length did you use?

I don't bother with constellations or deep sky when the Moon is bright but photograph the Moon instead. I've never got anything that good, though.

20 minutes ago, Sunny Phil said:

I don't bother with constellations or deep sky when the Moon is bright but photograph the Moon instead. I've never got anything that good, though.

I know this sounds really stupid but I don’t actually know?! (or understand it yet) 🤦🏼‍♀️

I’ve got a Sky watcher 80ED with my Canon Ra on the back. Oh and a reducer/flattener if that changes anything?

27 minutes ago, Sunny Phil said:

I just googled my telescope and got this...

Objective lens diameter: 80mm

Telescope focal length: 600mm (f/7.5)

Is this what you mean? 
The reducer/flattener is 0.85?

I really need to learn about this. I’ve never been very good with numbers/maths 🙈

It's either clear with the full moon or crystal clear at three in the morning. I wouldn't worry about it though, you have turned out another really good moon image and you should be proud of that, it's very good. It will all come out good in the end, it's giving you time to get to know your kit and get to feel comfortable with that.

10 hours ago, alis80b said:

I just googled my telescope and got this...

Objective lens diameter: 80mm

Telescope focal length: 600mm (f/7.5)

Is this what you mean? 
The reducer/flattener is 0.85?

I really need to learn about this. I’ve never been very good with numbers/maths 🙈

Yes. That is amazing with only 600mm focal length and 80mm aperture.

1 hour ago, Sunny Phil said:

Yes. That is amazing with only 600mm focal length and 80mm aperture.

I had to really crop the image as the moon was tiny. The camera has a live view 30X magnification which helped with focus. I don’t think I would have managed it without that 😊

8 hours ago, alis80b said:

I had to really crop the image as the moon was tiny. The camera has a live view 30X magnification which helped with focus. I don’t think I would have managed it without that 😊

I'm thinking of experimenting with live view but haven't got around to it yet.

4 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

I'm thinking of experimenting with live view but haven't got around to it yet.

As you have probably realised from my previous comments I don't really have clue! 😂

I really want to learn though!

The only way I can see anything through my telescope at the moment is through the 'live view' on my camera screen (is it even called that?). I thought that's how everyone did it!? Am I doing it wrong?

It took me ages to work out how to attach my camera to the telescope, I haven't even taken the eyepiece, that came with the telescope, out of the packaging yet 🙈

I read that you can set up live view up on a computer but I haven't done that yet, is that the same thing?

I obviously still have a lot to learn 😔

Your correct there  clear when the moon is high and bright, it,s a fact of life these days.

Thats a nice image, good exposure and again youve nailed focus, very important. Processing, perhaps a touch oversharpened fir me but some folks like that.

Use live view for focusing and if your camera allows it, zoom in to the subject in live view which helps focusing a great deal.

8 hours ago, philjay said:

Your correct there  clear when the moon is high and bright, it,s a fact of life these days.

Thats a nice image, good exposure and again youve nailed focus, very important. Processing, perhaps a touch oversharpened fir me but some folks like that.

Use live view for focusing and if your camera allows it, zoom in to the subject in live view which helps focusing a great deal.

Thanks.

I know what you mean about the sharpening. I did wonder if I’d overdone it. 
I’ve been using photoshop for years with my normal photography. There is a thin line between sharpening it to make it look a bit more in focus and over sharpening and spoiling it. 

I guess it’s all trial and error. I don’t really know what I like yet 🙈 A good reason to carry on taking photos of the moon 😊

I definitely think I prefer it less over exposed, looking back at the first photo I took.