• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ESA\Hubble Legacy Archive database - M82

Chris P.

Great job! It looks almost like a very fine beard!

It didn't look like that through my 140 the other night......! 😀

Impressive stuff Chris 👍🏼

Thats a nice double star bottom left ; i wonder what it is....??

Edited by Bino-viewer

On 09/04/2021 at 21:38, Sunny Phil said:

I once tried to access it but didn't get anywhere. Do you have any advice, please?

Hi Philip - HLA is not the most user friendly site. Definitely written for the science community. Best tip i can offer is ignore the inventory and use the images tab to pick the files you want and use the widefield camera images denoted by WPC***. If you do a search for an object the search engine will return all the catalogued images for that target. Some are next to useless but others have been combined for an RGB image. All I do is look for 3 grayscale images at different wavelengths (as denoted by the naming convention eg if includes a number in the 400's it's at the blue end of the spectrum; 650's is at the red end etc) and see if I can align them in Pixinsght. The M82 image was mosaic'd because you can see the joins - but you can process that out. Hope that helps

16 hours ago, Chris P. said:

Hi Philip - HLA is not the most user friendly site. Definitely written for the science community. Best tip i can offer is ignore the inventory and use the images tab to pick the files you want and use the widefield camera images denoted by WPC***. If you do a search for an object the search engine will return all the catalogued images for that target. Some are next to useless but others have been combined for an RGB image. All I do is look for 3 grayscale images at different wavelengths (as denoted by the naming convention eg if includes a number in the 400's it's at the blue end of the spectrum; 650's is at the red end etc) and see if I can align them in Pixinsght. The M82 image was mosaic'd because you can see the joins - but you can process that out. Hope that helps

Thanks, Chris