• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Leo triplet

alis80b

Hi, thats a nice image Alison.

Would fewer but longer subs make a difference ?

Say 30 x 180s ? or 25 x 300s ?

have you had chance to try out the new filter yet ?

I see you were looking at M3 on the chatbox. Did you mean M13 ?

The other side of Arcturus, roughly a third of the way between it and Vega, you'll find M13

which is the best glob visible for us in the UK and is reaching a nice position to image.

Its a treat through an eyepiece as well from a darker sky.

Hi,

Thanks,

I would love to take longer subs but I’m still struggling with anything longer than 70 seconds at the moment 😞 The stars are not 100% even at that. 

My polar alignment is good (I think) because I use my PoleMaster. However balance is not good. I need a longer dovetail which I haven’t got yet. Also need to start thinking about guiding maybe? I don’t know what it is. 

I’ve got the new filter in. Not sure if it’s making a difference as haven’t got any images the same to compare it to. I assume it’s helping though 😊

I planned on doing M13 but it’s just out of view from my garden (behind the roof of my house ☹️). That’s why I tried M3 instead. Haven’t looked at the data yet so not sure how it will turn out. Might try moving my equipment to the bottom on the garden to see if it’s in view there.

Hi Alison, what about dropping the exposure to 60 secs and using ISO 1600 ??

14 minutes ago, RonC said:

Hi Alison, what about dropping the exposure to 60 secs and using ISO 1600 ??

I could try that. Thanks, I have only tried ISO 800 so far as wasn’t sure if any higher would make it noisy? The ISO on my camera goes up to 40,000!! so maybe it will be ok at 1600 😊

There are also 1 or 2 settings you need to check, have a look on here or SGL to check..

11 hours ago, RonC said:

There are also 1 or 2 settings you need to check, have a look on here or SGL to check..

Thanks. What settings are they? I'm also not sure what SGL is. Sorry! 🙈

8 hours ago, Graham said:

That has turned out rather nice.

Thanks. I feel like I'm struggling a bit with galaxies. I think I need a bigger telescope!! Can't afford one yet though 😔

SGL is Stargazers Lounge, a world wide forum. As I use a OSC cam at the moment I can't recall the settings (old age as well!!)...

On 17/04/2021 at 13:02, alis80b said:

I could try that. Thanks, I have only tried ISO 800 so far as wasn’t sure if any higher would make it noisy? The ISO on my camera goes up to 40,000!! so maybe it will be ok at 1600 😊

The website Exploring Hydrogen Alpha with the Canon EOS Ra – Lonely Speck recommends ISO12800 for short exposures (5 sec) with the EOS Ra.  I'm not sure if I would want to go that far but it may well be worth trying an increase in the ISO and comparing the results?

9 hours ago, Clive said:

The website Exploring Hydrogen Alpha with the Canon EOS Ra – Lonely Speck recommends ISO12800 for short exposures (5 sec) with the EOS Ra.  I'm not sure if I would want to go that far but it may well be worth trying an increase in the ISO and comparing the results?

Ahh great! Thank you. I haven't seen that website. I'll take a look 😊