• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Huttoft car terrace 28 july

cosmic dave

Paul and I meet at Huttoft last night to do some perseids watching, we had a bit of cloud to contend with but we did manage to spot a few, and knocked the night on the head at about 1ish, Thanks paul I had a nice evening and enjoyed the chat.

Ps did you find out about that flashing flare ?

Edited by cosmic dave

I took my 12" Dob but didn't use it much as we were more interested in spotting meteors. I think we would have seen more if we could have stayed longer.

I haven't identified what appeared to be a flaring satellite.

I saw a satellite tonight following a similar path around 22.30, and although it was not as bright as last night, it was brightening and dimming the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jasonbirder

As its so convenient to get to/use can I ask what the ca terrace is like from a dark sky perspective...and whats the southern horizon like?

Thanks

The Southern Horizon is quite good. There are some camper vans staying there and there was a few cars coming and going, even after midnight, which spoilt it a bit.

Might be better in winter when the campers have gone.

Guest jasonbirder

Cheers! Wondered if it would all be bathed in the glow of skeg-vegas beachfront lights...so good to know!

No its nice and dark, but lots of late night cars ! Wonder what they are up to ? lol