• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Do you believe in possibility of life in other galaxies?

bearnard88

With over a hundred billion galaxies in the universe. It is hard for me to believe that there is not at least one other solar system with life. Especially, when some scientists claim that they have already found some exoplanets that can be like Earth

I think it stands a chance but we'll probably never know due to the immense distances. I think I read somewhere that very early galaxies predominantly contained stars with simpler elements and so were not conducive to planet formation. So yeah, although the Drake Equation has been revised somewhat in recent years, statistically there stands a chance of some form of life elsewhere.

bearnard88

I agree with you. There is a chance that some forms of life ( probably even intelligent ) can exists somewhere on a exoplanet in some galaxy. However, even if we could travel with the speed of light it would take a few years to reach one of these planets. Also, I wanna say that some forms of life can be found in ice on the red planet of Mars. I guess that there is a reason to believe in that theory.

With the number of galaxies out there I'd be staggered if the Earth was the only planet in the universe to harbour life. I think there must also be some form of intelligent life out there too but whether we ever find out due to the distances involved is another matter completely.

Mars is make or break I think. If they can find bacteria or something (that wasn't carried there accidentally from Earth) it would indicate that life is more universal. The universe is about 14 billion years old. I believe the Sun is around 6 billion and the Earth younger than that. Complex life forms arose quite recently in geological terms. Anatomically modern Human beings are only around 200,000 years old for example. I'm quite sceptical of there ever being life on Mars.

Edited by Nightspore

Yes, absolutely.

And that extra terrestrial life is not only out there in abundance,

but also visits us and monitors us. And may also live amongst us.

• Like 1
bearnard88
16 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

With the number of galaxies out there I'd be staggered if the Earth was the only planet in the universe to harbour life. I think there must also be some form of intelligent life out there too but whether we ever find out due to the distances involved is another matter completely.

I`ve read that some exoplanets were discovered that some scientists claim Earth- alike. However, this statement is rather controversial. There is a possibility that these planets are tidally locked to their star with a high radiation environment from the frequent stellar flares so likely no atmosphere and no life.

bearnard88

However, there are a lot of exoplanets that we haven`t discovered yet where the life can be. However, as it has been already mentioned these planets are too far and we cannot check if the life exists there. Probably if the intelligent form of life somewhere has more advanced space technology, they can probably contact with us somehow or even visit Earth))

bearnard88

Probably with such technology like the telescope like Ariel space telescope or the most expensive telescope by NASA James Webb Space Telescope will give us a hint at the possibility of other forms of life that can exist somewhere in another galaxy or atleast define more accurate the planets that can remind Earth. (Both of the telescopes are aimed to look for some new exoplanets or planets that can remind Earth)
https://www.skyrora.com/blog/uk-space-news
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Webb_Space_Telescope

3 hours ago, bearnard88 said:

However, there are a lot of exoplanets that we haven`t discovered yet where the life can be. However, as it has been already mentioned these planets are too far and we cannot check if the life exists there. Probably if the intelligent form of life somewhere has more advanced space technology, they can probably contact with us somehow or even visit Earth))

I'd be wary of assuming any postulated intelligent extraterrestrial life was necessarily technologically more advanced than we are. The two thousand year old Antikythera mechanism didn't lead to an Ancient Greek industrial revolution and similar technology didn't reappear in Western Europe until the 14th Century. Advanced technology in possible civilisations may not be statistically inevitable. 

https://www.seti.org/signal-proxima-centauri

If the Proxima Centauri signal has any validity it doesn't indicate anything more sophisticated than Jodrell Bank. If it is real, my guess is that the Proxima Centaurians are trying to cancel their Amazon Prime subscription. If they were truly more advanced than we are they'd know that it was impossible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2