• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

'Fess Up Time

I once asked a member here how many darks and flats they took for a non-astronomy photo.

I don't do that but have been known to use a bit of processing on them. One I've used is stitching together sections of a tower, like the BT Tower in London and similar ones. I sometimes adjust brightness and contrast and have been known to stack photos of flowers to get more detail.

Try and get the photo as perfect as I can in camera, normally have to do a little cropping and maybe a tad sharpening but sometimes I don't do anything except for resizing.

Not sure why one would take darks and flats for non astro, perhaps I don,t understand the post.

Darks are to remove hot pixels etc in long exposures. Flats to remove vignetting, dust bunnies etc in imaging trains. 

Suppose flats could be used in non astro if you were choosy.

I,m with Mick in trying to get everything right in camera but with a few tweaks in post processing. Just like the good ole days in the darkroom where I would, dodge burn and mask under the enlarger.

7 hours ago, philjay said:

Not sure why one would take darks and flats for non astro, perhaps I don,t understand the post.

Darks are to remove hot pixels etc in long exposures. Flats to remove vignetting, dust bunnies etc in imaging trains. 

Suppose flats could be used in non astro if you were choosy.

I,m with Mick in trying to get everything right in camera but with a few tweaks in post processing. Just like the good ole days in the darkroom where I would, dodge burn and mask under the enlarger.

The use of darks and flats for non-astro was a joke. I have to admit to going overboard on processing my astro shots and occasionally do it on my non-astro shots. The question really is am I the only one who almost NEVER posts an unprocessed photo anywhere? For example, I never post lunar photos without removing the colour fringes first.